Zesky665

Zesky665

Hi,

Anyone know how to parse a bitstring?
I have values like this : <<170, 192, 65, 0, 100, 0, 61, 86, 56, 171>> coming in from a sensor.
I need to get 65 ad 100 out to of that without changing them to another number. Anyone have an idea as to how to do that?

Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 5

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Something like this:

iex> x = <<170, 192, 65, 0, 100, 0, 61, 86, 56, 171>>
iex> << _ :: bytes-4, onehundred :: bytes-1, _ :: bytes-1, sixtyone :: bytes-1, _rest :: binary >> = x          
<<170, 192, 65, 0, 100, 0, 61, 86, 56, 171>>
iex> onehundred
"d"
iex> sixtyone
"="

This assumes you want the fields as binaries. If you want them as integers:

iex> << _ :: bytes-4, onehundred :: size(8), _ :: bytes-1, sixtyone :: size(8), _rest :: binary >> = x
<<170, 192, 65, 0, 100, 0, 61, 86, 56, 171>>
iex> sixtyone
61
iex> onehundred
100
Zesky665

Zesky665 OP

I’m sorry If I wasn’t clear.

When I said I wanted to get 65 I mean literally a “65” from that bitstring.
As in I want a list of all of the number values.

Ex:
a = <<170, 192, 65, 0, 100, 0, 61, 86, 56, 171>>
b = some_function(a)
b == [170, 192, 65, 0, 100, 0, 61, 86, 56, 171]

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Here you go:

iex> :binary.bin_to_list x
[170, 192, 65, 0, 100, 0, 61, 86, 56, 171]
Zesky665

Zesky665 OP

Is this from the Erlang library?

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Yes, it is. Everything in Erlang is available in Elixir.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews