Cheezy

Cheezy

It is a strange time. I personally have seen a lot of people produce very high quality code using AI - code that is well factored and tested. I have repeatedly experienced AI producing higher code quality than what many developers can produce. At the same time I see many people post about having the opposite experience. It is very hard to understand why people can have such polar opposite experiences.

I worked with three such posters who had a bad experience that were close friends of mine. In all three cases we discovered that the tools they were using were suboptimal and that they were not configured to provide anything even close to the best outcome.

Because of this experience, I decided to write this blog post. In the post I walk you through the tools I use, and more importantly, how I configure them. In my view, this makes a huge difference in the quality of code that is produced.

This is a quote from the post → “Think of the agent as a fast car without a steering wheel and brakes. Your job is to tailor it for your specific workflow and needs.”

Showing Posts 1 to 10

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Really nice write-up, I enjoyed it. I plan to take inspiration from some of your workflow items, thank you.

In my experience the results from LLMs are actually fairly deterministic at this point: the more details and guard rails and constraints you give it, the better it does. Get lazy and start using vague language and have it just stumble upon wall to wall and say it “fix it!”, the worse it gets.

Cheezy

Cheezy OP

Thanks for taking the time to read the blog

mindok

mindok

Agree with @dimitarvp - really useful writeup. I’ve been using Cursor interactively a lot over the last year or so, but been struggling to keep Claude Code & Codex on the straight and narrow. I had set aside some time to go through Mitchell Hashimoto’s recipe here: My AI Adoption Journey – Mitchell Hashimoto, but your notes will really help accelerate the process - your timing couldn’t have been better! Thanks.

sezaru

sezaru

I’ve been using your config for about a week now and I can say that it did indeed improve the quality of the code claude gives me.

But, at the same time, It seems like it also is using way more tokens than before, I basically can’t use it for more than a few minutes and I hit my 5 hour rate limit… (I use the pro plan btw)

Do you have the same issue? Any suggestion on how to improve that? I tried installing context mode plugin since it should help with token usage, but so far it didn’t help much (if at all).

Cheezy

Cheezy OP

Two things you can try to reduce the tokens it is using. You can set the CLAUDE_CODE_EFFORT_LEVEL value to “medium”. Also, I just updated my usage_rules which required all new configuration - but it moved a lot of things from the AGENTS.md file to a new Skill. This will reduce the context. Give this a try and see if it helps.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Have in kind that people have reported that Tidewave burns more tokens – and it’s being used here.

sezaru

sezaru

Oh, I thought using it would actually lower the amount of tokens used, at least it is what they say in their website Improving web accessibility with trace-augmented generation - Tidewave

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Well I have not used it and I don’t want to slander it (I am actually very curious to try it but have not been working close to the frontend part of Phoenix projects in a while now), I am only saying what I remembered people saying in its announcement thread.

It’s very possible this has been fixed and made better in the meantime.

Cheezy

Cheezy OP

My experience is that it also reduced the claude tokens.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

OK I don’t want to misinform so I scratched out my comment without deleting it.

My memory was partially wrong, check here: Tidewave has just been announced by José Valim - #43 by natewallis

…but the person admits they are using TideWave for Rails + use Avante (whatever that is). Hardly the beaten path and how it should be used.

So I retract my comment. My mistake.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Blog Posts Top

bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
zorn
An educational side project in Elixir, Phoenix, and Tauri. I share what I learned while wiring Automerge into the BEAM, including how I s...
New
ryanzidago
Up until then, I found it very hard to communicate to LLMs that I specifically do not want to handle X case because maybe it has never ha...
New
pckrishnadas88
In the previous part of this series, we built a Worker Pool from scratch, exploring point-to-point communication where a coordinator assi...
New
pckrishnadas88
In Elixir, send/2 is non-blocking, which means an eager producer can easily flood a slow consumer’s mailbox. Because BEAM process mailbox...
New
tomazbracic
Secure boot and a verified root filesystem on an STM32MP157F-DK2 - with Nerves of course Four links of an authenticated boot chain on an ...
New
UlfAnger
Hi all, I’ve built a small demo app to understand what an “AI agent” actually is under the hood, and to show it with Elixir’s own tools ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews