OTP Talks

Hi Group,
Does anyone have suggestions on a video or talk they had seen at a conference that covered OTP (in Elixir) starting from the basics to more complex hierarchies?

Thanks all,
Santosh

5 Likes

I haven’t seen any yet, but I’m reading through a new book called Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP. I know that’s not exactly what you were asking for, but the book focuses exclusively on OTP frameworks. There’s one chapter early in the book that acts as a “refresher” for Erlang, which is really all you’ll need if you’re familiar with Elixir, so don’t let the Erlang title scare you away.

5 Likes

I gave a talk about this a few weeks ago. It covers a lot of Elixir’s concurrency and OTP, from the basis to relatively complex hierarchies and ideas.

A Winner is you: A practical introduction to concurrency in Elixir

6 Likes

I suggest searching for talks by Torben Hoffmann. His talks are heavy on the business argument of choosing Erlang (and Elixir), and how to do stuff with OTP.

If you only watch one I suggest the Exploring Elixir using board game logic.

Also the ElixirConf talks by Saša Jurić are all brilliant.

6 Likes

Thanks. This was super helpful!

4 Likes

+1 for Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP. I’m currently reading it. I’m not even half way through the book, and and so far it has been the most helpful to me as far as having a much firmer grasp on OTP. Super happy with it!

1 Like

Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP. is my next tech buy.

In the meanwhile I read the little Elixir and OTP book (https://www.manning.com/books/the-little-elixir-and-otp-guidebook) which is a really cool book to starts with.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed Elixir Is Neat But What Can You Actually Do With It? by Rob Conery. Quite the nice introduction.

1 Like