WFransen

WFransen

Dear Elixir forum,

I truly hope that I’m not missing something very obvious here, for this would waste some people their time.. But I’m facing the following situation:

Simply trying to generate an arrow up, arrow down, that can be click to order an item higher or lower in a list. This is the following code that I’m trying to achieve this: (using following icons)

<td>
              <%= link(tag(:i, class: "fa fa-angle-up"), to: "/link/moveup", method: :post) %>
              <%= link(tag(:i, class: "fa fa-angle-down"), to: "/link/movedown", method: :post) %>
              <%= link "Delete",
              to: Routes.link_path(@conn, :delete, link),
              method: "delete" %></td>

Which results in the following html code and how it looks like:
image

When I change the lines of code so that it’s first the Delete link, then an arrow, it doesn’t get generated twice. Am I doing something wrong or could this be a potential bug?

Thank you in advance,

Showing Posts 1 to 10

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Can you post the raw HTML that this generates? The DOM inspector can sometimes display odd things as it tries to “fix” broken markup.

WFransen

WFransen OP

Thank you for your quick answer.

<td>
<a data-csrf="fw0wEg4GNXkbHj9HAFpAKywgABRjJgAAHTjSLWy3ugZvfnscFQgG1w==" data-method="post" data-to="/link/moveup" href="/link/moveup" rel="nofollow"><i class="fa fa-angle-up"></i></a><i class="fa fa-angle-up">              
<a data-csrf="fw0wEg4GNXkbHj9HAFpAKywgABRjJgAAHTjSLWy3ugZvfnscFQgG1w==" data-method="post" data-to="/link/movedown" href="/link/movedown" rel="nofollow"><i class="fa fa-angle-down"></i></a><i class="fa fa-angle-down">
             
<a data-csrf="fw0wEg4GNXkbHj9HAFpAKywgABRjJgAAHTjSLWy3ugZvfnscFQgG1w==" data-method="delete" data-to="/link/1" href="/link/1" rel="nofollow">Delete</a></i></i>
</td>

This should be the relevant part (quickly dumped it all in a td element).

Thanks again in advance!

chrismccord

chrismccord

Creator of Phoenix

The link function accepts the string contents as the first arg. I actually wouldn’t have expected the above to work, but I need to check the source. Try this:

<%= link to: "/link/moveup", method: :post do %> 
  <%= tag(:i, class: "fa fa-angle-up") %>
<% end %>
WFransen

WFransen OP

Thank you for responding.
I’ve tried the following code: (as per your suggestion)

              <%= link to: "/link/moveup", method: :post do %> 
                <%= tag(:i, class: "fa fa-angle-up") %>
              <% end %>
              <%= link to: "/link/movedown", method: :post do %> 
                <%= tag(:i, class: "fa fa-angle-down") %>
              <% end %>

Which resulted in:
image

With the following raw html:

<td>
<a data-csrf="Qx0cETNnJwsLLCZUB1FnP10YM2cmEAAAtDFPq6kAeUCeaeTw7iT4tA==" data-method="post" data-to="/link/moveup" href="/link/moveup" rel="nofollow">                <i class="fa fa-angle-up">
</i></a><i class="fa fa-angle-up">              
<a data-csrf="Qx0cETNnJwsLLCZUB1FnP10YM2cmEAAAtDFPq6kAeUCeaeTw7iT4tA==" data-method="post" data-to="/link/movedown" href="/link/movedown" rel="nofollow"> 
<i class="fa fa-angle-down">              </i></a><i class="fa fa-angle-down">
              
<a data-csrf="Qx0cETNnJwsLLCZUB1FnP10YM2cmEAAAtDFPq6kAeUCeaeTw7iT4tA==" data-method="delete" data-to="/link/22" href="/link/22" rel="nofollow">Delete</a></i></i></td>

The problem remains I’m afraid. (right now solved it with images, that works. Not sure if patch is the correct action for this though…)

<%= img_tag("images/icons8-sort-down-24.png") |> link(to: Routes.link_path(@conn, :movedown, link), method: :patch)%>
NobbZ

NobbZ

How did you check the generated HTML? Did you use curl or a similar tool or did you use some view of your browser, the later might still be subject of DOM manipulation via scripts.

WFransen

WFransen OP

Checked it with firefox, I’ll check it with curl as well. Editing this post soon!

<td>
<a data-csrf="KBhHPXYcNQc7DhhZbi8caUoQJXkhNgAAJ/uIOIP7Qf+0Azu/rjnATg==" data-method="post" data-to="/link/moveup" href="/link/moveup" rel="nofollow">                <i class="fa fa-angle-up"></a>              
<a data-csrf="KBhHPXYcNQc7DhhZbi8caUoQJXkhNgAAJ/uIOIP7Qf+0Azu/rjnATg==" data-method="post" data-to="/link/movedown" href="/link/movedown" rel="nofollow"> <i class="fa fa-angle-down"></a>
              
<a data-csrf="KBhHPXYcNQc7DhhZbi8caUoQJXkhNgAAJ/uIOIP7Qf+0Azu/rjnATg==" data-method="delete" data-to="/link/28" href="/link/28" rel="nofollow">Delete</a></td>

It is as you suggested @NobbZ! Though do you have any idea as to how this can help with finding a solution?

NobbZ

NobbZ

Check the output without having loaded any scripts, then add java script module by module, then you’ll see which one breaks your site, then debug that module.

WFransen

WFransen OP

Just using a default generated Phoenix project. The only js files that are getting compiled from webpack are socket.js (default) and app.js (default) which imports phoenix_html, does this mean that the “bug” is most likely in the phoenix_html package?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Can you try content_tag(:i, …)? This to me seems like a browser trying to fix improper html.

NobbZ

NobbZ

Im Not sure, perhaps the issue is in the font awesome provided scripts or styles? Disabling them will probably brake more :wink:

Have you tried with other symbols, or some content that is not font awesome? Perhaps an image?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews