jamilabreu

jamilabreu

Every new Phoenix app starts the same way: run mix phx.new, then spend time undoing defaults you don’t want and wiring in the packages you always use. Next project, you half-remember what you did last time and do it again.

Starter turns that into an ordered, flag-aware list of steps you can reuse anywhere and is always up to date with the latest Phoenix version.

How it works

mix starter.new generates a workflow module into your app, listing every built-in step with a one-line description of what it does. You open it and delete, reorder, or tag whatever you like — the file is yours:

defmodule Mix.Tasks.MyApp.Workflow do
use Starter.Workflow

@impl Starter.Workflow
def steps do
[
{:remove, :daisy_ui},                  # undo a phx.new default
{:remove, :topbar},
{:gen, :gitignore},                    # generate project hygiene
{:add, :credo},                        # install + configure packages
{:add, :oban, if: :oban},              # optional, behind --oban
{:add, :ash},                          # any package's own installer
MyApp.Steps.DeployConfig               # or your own step module
]
end
end

Then run it. Optional steps become flags automatically:

$ mix starter.run --oban

Every step also works standalone if you just want one thing:

$ mix starter.add oban,credo
$ mix starter.remove daisy_ui
$ mix starter.gen gitignore
$ mix starter.add --list # see what’s available (also: remove, gen)

Everything’s interactive by default; pass Igniter’s --yes in CI.

What ships with it

About 30 built-in steps:

  • remove — undoes phx.new defaults: daisyUI, topbar, the theme toggle, the " · Phoenix Framework" title suffix, AGENTS.md.
  • add — installs and configures packages: bun (replacing esbuild/tailwind), credo, quokka, exsync, mix_test_watch, libcluster, pgvector, uuidv7, dotenv_parser, remixicons, oban_pro.
  • gen — generates config and code: a base schema module, generator defaults (binary_id + utc_datetime_usec), a Postgres extensions migration, a minimal home page and app layout, Tailwind class sorting in the HEEx formatter, sorted mix.exs deps.

Deliberately, there’s no built-in step for anything that ships its own Igniter installer. oban, ash, tidewave and friends go through {:add, :package}, which runs the package’s own installer so upstream stays the authority. Built-in add steps exist only where upstream ships nothing, and if a package later adds an installer, its step here retires.

Writing your own steps

A step is any module implementing Igniter.Mix.Task, so you can drop one straight into your step list:

defmodule MyApp.Steps.DeployConfig do
use Igniter.Mix.Task

@impl Igniter.Mix.Task
def igniter(igniter) do
Igniter.create_new_file(igniter, "config/deploy.exs", "# ...")
end
end

Workflows are just modules, so they compose. You can keep your team’s ritual in a small dev-dep “step pack” and generate each new app’s workflow from it with mix starter.new --from MyTeam.Workflow, or include a shared workflow inline with {:workflow, MyTeam.Baseline}.

Why not…

  • mix igniter.new --install a,b,c? Great for packages with installers, and Starter doesn’t compete with it. Starter’s about everything around that: removing phx.new defaults (I don’t know of anything else that does this), packages without installers, ordering, optional flags, and keeping the ritual versioned in your repo.
  • A template repo? Templates fork away from phx.new and rot. A workflow replays your preferences on top of whatever phx.new generates today.

Caveats

It’s 0.1.2 — early, but working. It supports only the latest stable Phoenix (1.8) and its phx.new output; workflows warn when run against an older app.

Huge thanks to @zachdaniel and everyone working on Igniter — Starter is a thin opinionated layer over their work and wouldn’t exist otherwise.

I’d love to hear what’s in your setup ritual that isn’t covered yet, the remove list especially. I only removed the defaults that bug me, and I suspect that list is longer for other people.

Hex: starter | Hex
Docs: starter v0.2.0 — Documentation

Showing Posts 1 to 5

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Looks neat! Great usage of Igniter :slight_smile:

I do know of one other project doing this kind of thing, although perhaps slightly different scope and not AFAIK including workflows etc: GitHub - team-alembic/phx_install: Composable Igniter installers for Phoenix · GitHub

In this code, what’s the difference between {:add, :credo} and {:install, :ash}

jamilabreu

jamilabreu OP

Thanks!

:add is used when no official installer exists

:install delegates to an existing mix igniter.install

jamilabreu

jamilabreu OP

it’s a good callout though – updated it so we only use :add , first using igniter.install if one exists :slight_smile:

rhcarvalho

rhcarvalho

Interesting use of Igniter!

Great idea to have a “recipe” module! Did you consider “ignoring” the upstream mix phx.new and making Starter purely additive, starting from scratch and explicitly adding each desired part in the recipe?

How will Starter support future Phoenix versions as the output of mix phx.new changes over time?

Does it support the different combinations of possible flags to mix phx.new? E.g. HTTP adapter, Ecto adapter, etc.

Best,

Rodolfo

jamilabreu

jamilabreu OP

Thanks Rodolfo

On future Phoenix versions: CI regenerates against fresh phx.new every commit so breakage shows up there.

On flag combos (adapters, --no-ecto, etc.): No explicit support per flag, but any step expecting something that’s not there should warn rather than silently skip, but I haven’t audited every step against every combo!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
kip
Following on from my CLDR lbraries I started work on Unicode transforms. But like everything related to CLDR there is a lot of yak-shavin...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews