mattmower

mattmower

I’m using the Floki HTML parser as part of an application. I use it for rewriting custom attributes on <a> tags in HTML fragments. For that purpose it works great.

I recently had the need in my app to support something like Phoenix functional components and I borrowed the <.tag_name> format.

While I only supported self-contained “component tags” all was well.

However, I later modified my parser to support container component tags <.tag_name>...</.tag_name> and ended up with a problem that I have traced back to the Floki pre-processing stage.

In short, Floki (or MochiWeb) is eating the closing </.tag_name> so that it isn’t in the output when it hits my parser (which then barfs on the lack of a closing tag).

Using Floki on a self-contained “component tag” is fine: <li><.foo />Bar</li>

iex(7)> Floki.parse_fragment("<li><.foo />Bar</li>")
{:ok, [{"li", [], ["<.foo />Bar"]}]}

But on a container tag it does not work: <li><.foo>Bar</.foo>Baz</li>

iex(8)> Floki.parse_fragment("<li><.foo>Bar</.foo>Baz</li>")
{:ok, [{"li", [], ["<.foo>Bar", "Baz"]}]}
iex(9)>

The closing <./foo> is not in the output.

I mean, <. is not legal HTML so I have every sympathy with Floki for not doing what I want. But it seems pretty close and I wonder if it could do it. Unfortunately it looks like Floki is delegating parsing to MochiWeb which is a mass of (to me) incomprehensible Erlang code.

Anyone have any hope for me?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews