sheharyarn
I’m using the amazing Oban Web+Pro by @sorentwo in a Phoenix app. Previously the jobs were being executed on every node in my cluster, along with the Oban Web dashboard exposed for admins.
But now we’d like to isolate all jobs to only a few dedicated worker nodes, but keep using Oban Web along with the Phoenix app on the other web nodes to monitor job status across all nodes.
I thought it would be as simple as setting the concurrency of my queues to 0 on the web nodes:
config :my_app, Oban
queues: [
queue_1: 0,
queue_2: 0,
queue_3: 0,
]
But this just raises the following error:
** (Mix) Could not start application my_app: MyApp.Application.start(:normal, []) returned an error: shutdown: failed to start child: Oban
** (EXIT) an exception was raised:
** (ArgumentError) queue :queue_1, local_limit must be greater than 0
(oban 2.13.6) lib/oban/validation.ex:41: Oban.Validation.validate!/2
(oban 2.13.6) lib/oban/config.ex:77: Oban.Config.new/1
(oban 2.13.6) lib/oban.ex:182: Oban.start_link/1
(stdlib 4.0.1) supervisor.erl:414: :supervisor.do_start_child_i/3
(stdlib 4.0.1) supervisor.erl:400: :supervisor.do_start_child/2
(stdlib 4.0.1) supervisor.erl:384: anonymous fn/3 in :supervisor.start_children/2
(stdlib 4.0.1) supervisor.erl:1250: :supervisor.children_map/4
(stdlib 4.0.1) supervisor.erl:350: :supervisor.init_children/2
I’m probably missing a very obvious config option here so looking for help!
Thanks!
Same question also posted to SO: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/75249871/disable-oban-job-execution-on-a-node-with-oban-web-running
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Latest Oban Threads
Latest on Elixir Forum
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
sorentwo
The solution is to set
queues: []on the web nodes and omit the concurrency limit altogether. Or, you can use theonlyoption of DynamicQueues to restrict where queues run without multiple configs.sheharyarn
Thank you for getting back! I do have one follow up question regarding how the Oban Web dashboard picks up which queues to show/monitor if we only specify an empty list
[], and nothing is being executed on that node.Does it look at the queues enabled on other connected nodes in the same cluster or does it check the current database do something like the following:
Or maybe it displays that data separately per each node?
sorentwo
It looks at information across all nodes, not just the current one. You don’t need to run any queues on the web node (and you don’t even need to run the dashboard in the same cluster, as long as it can connect to the database and pubsub).