darkmarmot

darkmarmot

We have some code that creates unique hashes on documents to handle duplicate checks.

It wasn’t working on nodes that rebooted (letting dupes through) and as a last resort I changed from SHA to phash2 and it works perfectly now. This seems really strange to me. Is there some kind of timestamp seed or something in the crypto SHA I’m not aware of?

Here’s the code change that fixed our issues:

hash =
  :erlang.phash2(doc, 1_000_000)

Here’s the original that is not working across restarts:

hash =
  :crypto.hash(:sha, :erlang.term_to_binary(doc)) |> Base.encode64(case: :lower)

Maybe term_to_binary or encode64… but… it just surprised me a lot…

Showing Posts 1 to 2

cmkarlsson

cmkarlsson

Sorry for a few follow-up questions. I am not even sure I can help here.

  • Can you consistently reproduce this, the same document always produce different results after reboot of a node?
  • What is doc? Is it a binary string or an erlang term? Something else?
  • Is the initial hash and hash done on rebooted node done on the same nodes?
  • If on different nodes are they running on different server architecture?
  • Are you able to try the different parts of the sha hash individually to see which one is not working.

My bet is that it is term_to_binary. I am not sure it is meant to always produce the same result, only that it can be decoded with binary_to_term.

phash2 on the other hand is designed to always produce consistent result when run on different version of erlang and machine architectures.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

The collision chance for phash2 is gonna be a lot higher than a sha though, so I’d definitely recommend finding a way to use a sha.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews