Menkir

Menkir

Hi guys.
I’m currently working with the new LV JS API and it’s pretty cool. However i have a case where i need to trigger transitions of html elements from the server side. e.g.: A Notification that pops up after the last action was verified by the backend. Something that happens quite often.

I came up with a solution with a hook that triggers the transition by clicking on a hidden button.

Here a minimal example in surface:

LV template

...
<Notification id="notify-fail" 
type="error" 
title={@notitication} 
message={@message}/>

<Submit/>
...

LV callback

def handle_event("submit", params, socket) do
    socket = if valid?(params) do
         redirect(socket, to: "/foo")
    else
        socket 
        |> assign(title: "Something went wrong", message: "Pls check your foo")
        |> Notification.open("notify-fail")
    end
    {:noreply, socket}
end

Notification Component

defmodule Notification do
    use Surface.LiveComponent
    alias Phoenix.LiveView.JS

    prop message, :string
    prop title, :string

    def render(assigns) do
        ~F"""
            <div id={@id} class="..." :hook="Notification">
                <button id={@id <> "-trigger"} type="button" hidden :on-click={__MODULE__.show(@id)}></button>
               {!-- some template stuff  with @message and @string --}
            </div>
        """
    end

    # clientside open
    def show(id, js \\ %JS{}),
    do: JS.show(js, to: "##{id}", transition: {"ease-out duration-300", "opacity-0", "opacity-100"})

    # serverside open
    def open(socket, id) do
        socket |> push_event("open", %{id: id})
    end
    ...
end

Notification Hook

...
mounted() {
    this.handleEvent("open", ({id}) => {
        if(id == this.el.id){
            this.el.querySelector(`#${id}-trigger`).click()
        }
    })
}
...

Imo this solution seems like a dirty workaround because it created the necessity of writing an extra hook as well as providing two additional functions in the module doing basically the same thing . Will there be a feature handling this behaviour? Or do you know a better way of solving this issue?

greets

Showing Posts 1 to 3

riebeekn

riebeekn

I think hooks are currently the only option when wanting to call javascript from the server. I’d probably just put the necessary plain javascript in the hook however instead of going with the hidden button technique.

CherryPoppins

CherryPoppins

You can checkout Apline.js to handle stuff like this. I’ve found it works pretty good with typical controllers/templates, but in my experience it can be buggy in liveviews and I’ve only had limited success there before giving up on it. It’s been a few months though since i tried it out so maybe they have worked out some of the liveview issues where you seemingly lose your Alpine instance on DOM updates.

DecoyLexi

DecoyLexi

I had a similar problem and managed to solve it without using hooks. In addition to pushing events to hooks, LiveView also dispatches events sent with push_event/3 to the window with a phx: prefix.

live_helpers.ex:

def push_js(socket, js \\ %JS{}) do
  cmd = Jason.encode!(js.ops) # LiveView expects this to be a string when we call `execJS` on the client

  socket
  |> push_event("exec_js", %{id: socket.id, cmd: cmd})
end

app.js:

window.addEventListener("phx:exec_js", (e) => {
  let el = document.getElementById(e.detail.id)

  liveSocket.execJS(el, e.detail.cmd)
})

Then in your LiveView, you can just do

def open(socket, id) do  
  socket
  |> push_js(show(id))
end

There might be a better way to do this, but I haven’t found one yet.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews