josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Hi everyone, I am sharing this announcement here in case some of you might be interested.


Dear colleagues,

IRIF (Paris) is opening a postdoctoral position on gradual and semantic typing for Elixir’s module system, working directly with José Valim (creator of Elixir) and the Elixir core team. The goal: extend the semantic-subtyping-based type system already shipping in the official Elixir compiler to cover its module system, treating modules and values within a single, unified type-theoretic framework.

Two intertwined challenges are on the table — bringing gradual typing to modules, and reconciling existential types with the semantic subtyping framework — with a direct path from theory to a compiler used by tens of thousands of developers at companies like Apple, Discord, PepsiCo, BBC, Adobe, and Spotify.

12 months (extendable), starting 1 November 2026 (negotiable, though only to a later date). CNRS salary scale. PhD in Computer Science required; strong background in functional languages and type systems expected.

Full description, scientific context, and how to apply:

Contact: Giuseppe Castagna Giuseppe.Castagna@irif.fr

Best regards,
Giuseppe Castagna
IRIF, Université Paris Cité

Where Next? Top

Trending in News Top

josevalim
Hi everyone, I am sharing this announcement here in case some of you might be interested. Dear colleagues, IRIF (Paris) is opening a p...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews