PJUllrich

PJUllrich

Author of Building Table Views with Phoenix LiveView

I’m wondering at which point the handle_params/3-callback is invoked in the LiveView life-cycle. I think it is after mount/3, but before render/1. However, the LiveView docs say:

After mounting, render/1 is invoked and the HTML is sent as a regular HTML response to the client. Link

I believe that render/1 is not immediately called after mount/3 though, but that handle_params/3 is called in between. Am I correct to assume this?

I tested it out with the following LiveView:

defmodule TestLive do
  render(assigns) do
    ~H"""
      <%= @greeting %>
    """
  end

  def mount(_params, _session, socket), do: {:ok, socket}

  def handle_params(_params, _url, socket) do
    {:noreply, assign(socket, :greeting, "Hello World")}
  end
end

This renders just fine, which leads me to assume that handle_params/3 is called after mount/3 and before render/1. Otherwise, the @greeting assign wouldn’t be available in render/1.

So, the life-cycle must be:
mount/3 → handle_params/3 → render/1

And if I understand this comment correctly, then the life-cycle is shorter for live navigation (with e.g. live_patch or live_redirect:

handle_params/3 → render/1

If this is the case, then I’ll try to write a PR to re-write the docs to clarify this.

PS: After I wrote this, I realised that I could just put IO.inspects in the callbacks and indeed, the functions were called as explained above.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

PJUllrich

PJUllrich OP

Author of Building Table Views with Phoenix LiveView

Ah thank you! I didn’t see this guide, but only read the module documentation.

This doc explains is quite well actually. So, no PR needed I guess :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews