tanweerdev

tanweerdev

I am trying to working on a query builder and the example/content is just imaginary.

query = from en in Data.InfectionRevision
query = from q in query, select: map(q, [:is_complete, :is_active])

query = from(q in query,select_merge: %{"$aggregate": %{"$max": %{^"revision_id" => max(q.revision_id)}}})
query = from(q in query,group_by: q.encounter_id,
 select_merge: %{"$group" => %{^"encounter_id" => q.encounter_id}})

But the query I get is having incorrect key for group, although I have passed correct key while building query. this is what I got

#Ecto.Query<from i0 in Data.InfectionRevision, group_by: [i0.encounter_id],
 select: merge(merge(
   map(i0, [:is_complete, :is_active]), 
   %{"$aggregate": %{"$max": %{^"revision_id" => max(i0.revision_id)}}}), 
   %{"$group" => %{^"revision_id" => i0.encounter_id}})>

%{"$group" => %{^"revision_id" => i0.encounter_id}} should be actually %{"$group" => %{^"encounter_id" => i0.encounter_id}}
What Step or part of the query I am building wrong? How to fix it?

Note:

  • sample project on which you can run/build above queries
  • Please ignore the query content, it might not makes sense because its just an example and should work dynamically as its part of dynamic query builder
  • I need to build query step by step from passed params dynamically

Showing Posts 1 to 3

tanweerdev

tanweerdev OP

If I dont apply aggregate, Query is build all just fine

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

I was able to verify a similar behavior with select_merge locally in a different app, but only in a very specific scenario:

  • pinned parameters as map keys (see below)
  • in select_merge
  • the inspect output, as shown above, is incorrect

BUT turning the resulting query into SQL results in both pinned parameters being correctly passed as bind params.

Further experimentation gave an interesting result: the pinned values shown in inspect for the second select_merge are shifted:

query = from en in Data.InfectionRevision
query = from q in query, select: map(q, [:is_complete, :is_active])

query = from(q in query, select_merge: %{"$aggregate": %{"$max": %{^"revision_id" => max(q.revision_id)}}})
query = from(q in query, group_by: q.encounter_id,
  select_merge: %{
    "$group" => %{
      ^"encounter_id" => q.encounter_id,
      ^"infection_id" => q.infection_id
    }
  }
)

should result in output like (predicted, not tested!):

 %{"$group" => %{^"revision_id" => i0.encounter_id, ^"encounter_id" => q.infection_id}})

This makes a little more sense, as converting the query to SQL would show three bind params that get the values ["revision_id", "encounter_id", "infection_id"].

BUUUUUUT, there’s a bigger question. What SQL are you expecting to result from an expression like select_merge: %{"$group" => %{^"encounter_id" => q.encounter_id}})?

Ecto doesn’t send the map part of the expression to the database, but it DOES include a bind variable reference ($1 etc on Postgresql) in the SELECT list. In your example, the generated SQL would look something like:

SELECT o0.is_complete, o0.is_active, $1, max(o0.revision_id), $2, o0.encounter_id GROUP BY o0.encounter_id

bind vars: ["revision_id", "encounter_id"]

Selecting constant values doesn’t seem particularly useful, especially since Ecto ignores them when constructing the result set.

Regarding the inspect bug, I couldn’t produce similar behavior with a more common use of pins, where: some_field == ^"some value" so it may be specific to the display of select_merge or select clauses.

tanweerdev

tanweerdev OP

Thanks @al2o3cr. This was bug in ecto which has been fixed in master

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews