dgreiss
Hi everyone,
I’m building out a complex database schema as part of a Phoenix app and I’m running into an error when i make updates to the migration. For example I have a :users table and :comments:
create table(:comments) do
add :title, :string
timestamps()
end
create table(:users) do
add :name, :string
timestamps()
end
I run ecto.migrate with no issue, but now I’d like to add a reference on the :comments table:
create table(:comments) do
add :title, :string
add :users_id, references(:users, on_delete: :nothing)
timestamps()
end
Rather than rolling back the previous migration I prefer to ecto.reset, however I encounter this error.
The database for MigrationExample.Repo has been dropped
The database for MigrationExample.Repo has been created
20:42:28.605 [info] == Running 20200126013640 MigrationExample.Repo.Migrations.CreateComments.change/0 forward
20:42:28.607 [info] create table comments
** (Postgrex.Error) ERROR 42P01 (undefined_table) relation "users" does not exist
(ecto_sql) lib/ecto/adapters/sql.ex:629: Ecto.Adapters.SQL.raise_sql_call_error/1
(elixir) lib/enum.ex:1336: Enum."-map/2-lists^map/1-0-"/2
(ecto_sql) lib/ecto/adapters/sql.ex:716: Ecto.Adapters.SQL.execute_ddl/4
(ecto_sql) lib/ecto/migration/runner.ex:343: Ecto.Migration.Runner.log_and_execute_ddl/3
(ecto_sql) lib/ecto/migration/runner.ex:117: anonymous fn/6 in Ecto.Migration.Runner.flush/0
(elixir) lib/enum.ex:1948: Enum."-reduce/3-lists^foldl/2-0-"/3
(ecto_sql) lib/ecto/migration/runner.ex:116: Ecto.Migration.Runner.flush/0
(stdlib) timer.erl:166: :timer.tc/1
(ecto_sql) lib/ecto/migration/runner.ex:25: Ecto.Migration.Runner.run/7
(ecto_sql) lib/ecto/migrator.ex:342: Ecto.Migrator.attempt/7
(ecto_sql) lib/ecto/migrator.ex:243: anonymous fn/4 in Ecto.Migrator.do_up/4
(ecto_sql) lib/ecto/migrator.ex:324: anonymous fn/3 in Ecto.Migrator.run_maybe_in_transaction/6
(ecto_sql) lib/ecto/adapters/sql.ex:903: anonymous fn/3 in Ecto.Adapters.SQL.checkout_or_transaction/4
(db_connection) lib/db_connection.ex:1427: DBConnection.run_transaction/4
(ecto_sql) lib/ecto/migrator.ex:323: Ecto.Migrator.run_maybe_in_transaction/6
(elixir) lib/task/supervised.ex:90: Task.Supervised.invoke_mfa/2
(elixir) lib/task/supervised.ex:35: Task.Supervised.reply/5
(stdlib) proc_lib.erl:249: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3
The issue is that the order of the migrations is important and the :comments table is being created before the :users table, and therefore throwing the error. Is there a way to resolve this without manually specifying the repo in the migration ecto.migrate -r or rolling back a migration. My preference is to always reset the database.
Thanks for the help
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
wolfiton
Hi
You need to create a new migration that will alter the comments table in your case and add the user_id refeference.
See here Ecto.Migration — Ecto SQL v3.14.0
You will have something like this
Then your migration will work as expected.
benwilson512
You need to create the users table before the comments table, your migration shows comments as first.
dgreiss
Is there a way to do specify the order of the migrations?
wolfiton
From what i experience so far the migration each get a timestamp so the order is the one you define. But using my method to add the relationships after creating the actual migrations should help you automatize the process.
dimitarvp
Yes, they are named with full timestamp (year, month, date, hour, minute, second) when created. If they are out of order then it means you created the comments migration first and then the users. You can simply rename your users migration to an earlier timestamp than that of the comments.
Check your
priv/repo/migrations/directory and you’ll see.After you edit the filenames then just drop your DB (
mix ecto.drop) and re-run migrations.LostKobrakai
They‘re applied in order of filenames. Generally the leading timestamps are used to link the alphabetical order to order of file creation.
dgreiss
I’ve settled on altering the table as suggested by @wolfiton and reserve altering the table for creating any references and indices. I don’t like the idea of changing the timestamps on the file names, especially if the file has been committed.