pckrishnadas88
Hey everyone! ![]()
I’ve published Part 7 of the Building Distributed Systems in Elixir series, where we build core distributed systems and concurrency patterns from first principles using raw process primitives (spawn, send, receive) before reaching for OTP abstractions.
In this part, we explore Worker Pools and Bounded Concurrency
What’s covered:
- The Problem with Unbounded Concurrency: Why spawning
10,000processes for heavy tasks leads to socket/database exhaustion and memory pressure. - Demand-Driven / Pull-Based Distribution: How workers pull tasks when idle instead of pushing work blindly, implementing backpressure naturally.
- Atomic Completion & Availability: Combining job completion notifications and worker re-availability into a single message (
{:available, worker_id, self(), job, result}) to prevent race conditions. - Graceful Pool Lifecycle: Coordinating shutdown signals across a coordinator and worker pool without dangling processes.
Links:
Read the article: Building Distributed Systems in Elixir: Part 7 — Worker Pool
GitHub Repository: elixir-distributed-systems-lab
Feedback, thoughts, and discussions are always welcome!
Trending in Blog Posts
Up until then, I found it very hard to communicate to LLMs that I specifically do not want to handle X case because maybe it has never ha...
New
An automated trigger fired every two minutes for 8 hours. 243 agent runs. 31M tokens. $63 wasted. The problem: nobody noticed until morni...
New
The words are insufficient to describe what transpired. What we tried to do met what the people wanted it to be. It became beautiful.
Th...
New
Hi all,
I’ve built a small demo app to understand what an “AI agent” actually is under the hood, and to show it with Elixir’s own tools ...
New
In Elixir, send/2 is non-blocking, which means an eager producer can easily flood a slow consumer’s mailbox. Because BEAM process mailbox...
New
Secure boot and a verified root filesystem on an STM32MP157F-DK2 - with Nerves of course
Four links of an authenticated boot chain on an ...
New
A backtest worker and a live trading node had to share one broker rate limit and one set of OAuth tokens, and both only work if there’s e...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #ai
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
alvinkatojr
Excellent work man! I stopped at part 4 and have been waiting for the rest. Now I can resume from where I stopped.
pckrishnadas88
Thanks a lot!
Glad you’re enjoying the series. Hope the upcoming parts are useful too!
alvinkatojr
Oh, I’m sure the upcoming parts will be useful. Keep them coming!
alvinkatojr
Just a nudge, @pckrishnadas88. I know you are busy, but I’m patiently waiting for the next article in the series
pckrishnadas88
Sure will update it was bit busy with my sister’s wedding arrangements which is this weekend.
alvinkatojr
Oh wow! Congratulations to your sister and to you, Mr. Brother-in-law!
For now focus on the wedding; I/we can wait until next week! Have fun!