jason.o

jason.o

This code is intended to validate a user typed DELETE before deleting their account, but it doesn’t work because add_error isn’t adding the error nor making the changeset valid?: false. Perhaps the issue might be that it’s run inside before_action which was needed so that the validation doesn’t happen until form submission. What’s the right way to accomplish this? Thanks.

  change fn changeset, _ ->
    Ash.Changeset.before_action(changeset, fn changeset ->
      if Ash.Changeset.get_argument(changeset, :confirm_word) == "DELETE" do
        changeset
      else
        changeset
        |> Ash.Changeset.add_error(
          field: :confirm_word,
          message: "Type DELETE to confirm"
        )
      end
    end)
  end

Showing Posts 1 to 8

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

This looks right at first glance. You’re getting into that code but the error is somehow not being added? What if you do


 changeset
        |> Ash.Changeset.add_error(
          Ash.Error.to_ash_error(field: :confirm_word,
          message: "Type DELETE to confirm"
        ))

I don’t think it will help but can’t hurt to try. You can confirm this code is being called but it’s not adding an error? Like changeset.errors is still an empty list after you do that?

jason.o

jason.o OP

Adding Ash.Error.to_ash_error didn’t make any difference. The error list is still blank in the changeset. BTW, my changeset before_action code block is located inside a (soft) destroy action. When I try the same code in an update action, it does add these errors to the changeset.

with to_ash_error

errors: [
    %Ash.Error.Unknown.UnknownError{
      error: "Type DELETE to confirm",
      field: nil,
      changeset: nil,
      query: nil,
      error_context: [],
      vars: [],
      path: [],
      stacktrace: #Stacktrace<>,
      class: :unknown
    }
  ],

without to_ash_error - InvalidAttribute because confirm_word is not an attribute of User resource.


  errors: [
    %Ash.Error.Changes.InvalidAttribute{
      field: :confirm_word,
      message: "Type DELETE to confirm",
      private_vars: nil,
      value: nil,
      changeset: nil,
      query: nil,
      error_context: [],
      vars: [],
      path: [],
      stacktrace: #Stacktrace<>,
      class: :invalid
    }
  ],
zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Very interesting. I think I may know the issue. I’ll have to reproduce it and confirm when I’m home later this evening. If you can open a GH issue on ash core with all of this detail, I should have the issue resolved tonight or tomorrow. Does that work for you?

jason.o

jason.o OP

Sure. Thank you!

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Interesting, I’m actually having trouble reproducing this. Are you on 2.x or 3.x?

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Is the example you’re showing a simplified example? Are you sure you’re properly returning the changeset with the error, that kind of thing? I’ve tested it against multiple data layers/resources and it appears to work as expected.

jason.o

jason.o OP

No, it’s not a simplified example. Let me try to create a minimal example that reproduces the issue.

jason.o

jason.o OP

Ash 2.21.6
Ash_Phoenix 1.3.4

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews