rrevanth

rrevanth

I am trying to create a form where the user once selects a product_id from select, he will be displayed all the options and their values from product_options.

I am unable to figure out how to make the form display dynamically based on selecting product_id which is in the form itself.

I have the following schemas :

Product :
create table(:products) do add :name, :string add :description, :string

Options :

create table(:options) do add :description, :string [eg : size,weight,color etc.,]

Product_options :

create table(:product_options) do add :values, {:array, :string}, default: ( contains all possible values for one product and option) add :product_id, references(:products, on_delete: :nothing) add :option_id, references(:options, on_delete: :nothing)

I want to create a inventory where options is a map of values for each option that the product has through product_options.

The schema looks like this :

create table(:product_inventory) do add :options, :map add :product_id, references(:products, on_delete: :nothing)

Showing Posts 1 to 4

smpallen99

smpallen99

I can think of 3 options.

  1. Render all the product options on the original page and put them in a hidden div. Set either the id or data-id of that div to the product_id. Then, registered an change event on the select control and make that div visible.
  2. Bind an ajax request to the selects change event. Render the products components and modify the DOM on success of the ajax request
  3. Use phoenix channels. On the change event, push the a request with the product id to the server. On the server, Render the html for that product and push back to the client. in the .receive("ok" => resp { ... } JS handler update the DOM with the returned HTML.
OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

You can also easily use something like unpoly.js to refresh only the part of the page containing the information once the user selects something, pretty trivial to implement then.

rrevanth

rrevanth OP

I thought of first two but third one seems a more safe and efficient way.

Thank you :slight_smile:

rrevanth

rrevanth OP

I didn’t know that. awesome, this looks promising. I will look into it.

thank you! :smiley:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews