innocentoldguy

innocentoldguy

Ecto noob question here. I followed this tutorial for dynamically adding and deleting the many side of a one-to-many relationship in a Phoenix LiveView: Nested model forms with Phoenix LiveView · FullstackPhoenix

Just to keep it easy, lets say I have a one-to-many relationship between a Blog and its Comments.

Using the example in the above tutorial, I can dynamically add multiple Comments to a Blog. I can also delete Comments. If I delete a Comment that is in the changset, but not committed to the database yet (one with a temp ID), then I can continue to add more Comments. However, if I delete a Comment that is already in the database and then try to add another Comment, I get this error:

(RuntimeError) cannot replace related %Test.Blogs.Entry{__meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:loaded, "comments">, delete: nil, id: 1, inserted_at: ~N[1970-01-01 00:00:00], blog: #Ecto.Association.NotLoaded<association :blog is not loaded>, blog_id: 1, temp_id: nil, title: "Test Blog", updated_at: ~N[1970-01-01 00:00:00]}. This typically happens when you are calling put_assoc/put_embed with the results of a previous put_assoc/put_embed/cast_assoc/cast_embed operation, which is not supported. You must call such operations only once per embed/assoc, in order for Ecto to track changes effeciently [sic].

My code is exactly the same as the code in the tutorial at this point, only with different table names. I’m using the latest versions of Phoenix, LiveView, and Ecto.

I’ve scoured the Ecto documentation for about 10 hours now, but I haven’t found a way to get past this error using Ecto changesets, as described in the tutorial. Is there a way to fix this error, or is it just impossible to use Ecto in the way this tutorial suggests?

Showing Posts 1 to 1

innocentoldguy

innocentoldguy OP

I misspoke in my original post. The tutorial I mentioned doesn’t show how to delete existing “Comments” from a “Blog.” I added that using this function:

def handle_event("remove-existing-comment", %{"remove" => id}, socket) do
    deleted_comments = [ id | socket.assigns.deleted_comments ]
    Blog.delete_comment(id)

    comments =
      socket.assigns.blog.commets
      |> Enum.reject(fn comment ->
        comment.id in deleted_comments
      end)

    changeset =
      socket.assigns.changeset
      |> Ecto.Changeset.put_assoc(:comments, comments)

    {:noreply, assign(socket, changeset: changeset, deleted_comments: deleted_comments)}
  end

This works fine, but if I delete an existing comment using this callback, then the function to create new Comments stops working, with the error I mentioned in my original post.

I apologize for attributing this part of the code to the author of the tutorial.

So, again, is there a way to get this to work with Ecto, or is it an impossible scenario?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews