woohaaha

woohaaha

Fair warning, I’m a n00b to everything that is Elixir and Docker (so of course I want to do both at once, but let’s ignore that for a sec).

I would like to practice deploys with a Phoenix umbrella and Docker to a cloud platform like AWS or GCP. I have been using this as a base Dockerfile (https://hexdocs.pm/phoenix/releases.html#containers) and expanding/adding to it. It’s starting to get pretty hacky as I don’t consider myself a Docker expert and I have to overcome errors with every new step in the build process.

There are examples of Dockerfiles for Phoenix umbrellas but they don’t use the new Elixir 1.9 releases.

Are there any examples anywhere of a production ready (explaining DATABASE_URL, SECRET_KEY_BASE, etc…) Dockerfile for a Phoenix umbrella (with app_name/assets, not just api)? Also, it would be great if there was an explanation around each step discussing why this step is needed.

Thank you :pray:

PS: reading through the forum it seems there’s a lot of discussion around deployment, it would be great if there was more consensus around the topic, or at least some templates to get us n00bs started. Maybe deployment scripts for some common/popular scenarios. Every deploy is different but it would be nice if there was a stock (it just works) example that people can begin to learn from.

PPS: when a n00b gets an answer that’s along the lines of “it depends” it becomes a blocker. Opinions are great! I’d love to hear more of them :sweat_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 1

christopherlai

christopherlai

I have a pretty simple setup for my umbrella project.

Dockerfile:

mix.exs:

You will actually have to move the SecretsManagerProvider dep into one of the applications under apps, whichever one you’re building the release for.

I use SecretsManagerProvider to load all of my runtime configurations from AWS Secrets Manager.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews