sandorbedo

sandorbedo

Given a hex package name (for instance gen_stage) and a version requirement string (for instance "~> 1.1"), how can I programmatically find out the latest version of the package available on hex that satisfies the requirement string? (In this case it would be 1.1.2 at the moment.) Is there a Hex function available in mix tasks that does this?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

zachallaun

zachallaun

Check out mix hex.outdated – I think it’s what you’re looking for.

sandorbedo

sandorbedo OP

Just for the record, I came up with this elixir script:

[package_name, version_requirement] = System.argv()
{:ok, requirement} = Version.parse_requirement(version_requirement)

defmodule Version.Comparison do
  def unquote(:>=)(a, b) do
    Version.compare(a, b) in [:gt, :eq]
  end
end

case Hex.API.Package.get(:hexpm, package_name) do
  {:ok, {200, response, _headers}} ->
    response
    |> Map.get("releases")
    |> Enum.map(& &1["version"])
    |> Enum.filter(&Version.match?(&1, requirement))
    |> Enum.sort(&Version.Comparison.>=/2)
    |> IO.inspect(label: "Version(s) found")

  {:ok, {404, _, _}} ->
    IO.puts("Package not found.")

  {:error, reason} ->
    IO.inspect(reason, label: "Something went wrong")
end

$ mix run hex_versions.exs gen_stage "~> 1.1"
Version(s) found: ["1.1.2", "1.1.1", "1.1.0"]
pmangalakader

pmangalakader

You can use mix hex.info PACKAGE_NAME to get the basic details such as versions etc.

$ mix hex.info ecto
A toolkit for data mapping and language integrated query for Elixir

Config: {:ecto, "~> 3.9"}
Locked version: 3.8.3
Releases: 3.9.1, 3.9.0, 3.8.4, 3.8.3, 3.8.2, 3.8.1, 3.8.0, 3.7.2, ...

Licenses: Apache-2.0
Links:
  GitHub: https://github.com/elixir-ecto/ecto
LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

That’s a private module, which may change at any point in time. You can probably use :hex_core’s :hex_api_package.get instead.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews