rept

rept

Hi,

I currently have a RoR application that uses the Sneakers gem to monitor RabbitMQ queues and process messages. I’m looking into migrating this to Elixir and have started experimenting. We have about 20 queues, all with different logic that needs to be processed.

I was able to get Broadway up and running and want to create a worker per queue (or per 2 - 3 queues that share business logic). So I started creating workers like this:

defmodule MessageWorker do
  require Logger
  use Broadway

  @queue_names ~w(messages)

  def start_link(_opts) do
    Broadway.start_link(__MODULE__,
      name: __MODULE__,
      producer: [
        module: {BroadwayRabbitMQ.Producer,
          queue: "",
          connection: [
            username: "guest",
            password: "guest",
            host: "localhost"
          ],
          merge_options: fn (index) ->
            queue_name = Enum.fetch!(@queue_names, index)
            Logger.info(" connecting to queue #{queue_name}")
            [queue: queue_name]
          end
        },
        concurrency: 1
      ],
      processors: [
        default: [
          concurrency: 10
        ]
      ]
    )
  end

  @spec handle_message(any, any, any) :: none
  def handle_message(_, message, _context) do
    Broadway.Message.ack_immediately(message)
    IO.inspect(message.data, label: "MESSAGE Got message")
  end

end

This all seems to work, which is great. However since the start_link will be the same for all workers (except for the queue name and maybe the number of processors I would like to put this ‘somewhere’ so I could avoid the code being duplicated in each worker. I just want each worker to specify the queue(s) to monitor and the concurrency. So the complete start_link method shouldn’t be duplicated.

How can I do this?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

I would recommend creating a helper module for this. Here’s how one might look:

defmodule MessageWorkerUtils do
 def broadway_options(module_name, queue_names) do
    [
      name: module_name,
      producer: [
        module: {BroadwayRabbitMQ.Producer,
          queue: "",
          connection: [
            username: "guest",
            password: "guest",
            host: "localhost"
          ],
          merge_options: fn (index) ->
            queue_name = Enum.fetch!(queue_names, index)
            Logger.info(" connecting to queue #{queue_name}")
            [queue: queue_name]
          end
        },
        concurrency: 1
      ],
      processors: [
        default: [
          concurrency: 10
        ]
      ]
    )
  ]
end

Then you could call it in your start_link like:

def start_link(_opts) do
  options = MessageWorkerUtils.broadway_options(__MODULE__, @queue_names)
  Broadway.start_link(__MODULE__, options)
end

And welcome to the forum! :wave:

rept

rept OP

Hi @axelson,

Thanks a lot! Tried it out and this works great.

Aetherus

Aetherus

I don’t know if this is a good idea, but it sounds like we could use a little bit metaprogramming.

defmodule MQWorker do
  @callback handle_message(any(), any(), any()) :: none()

  defmacro __using__(queue_names) do
    quote do
      @behaviour unquote(__MODULE__)

      def start_link(_opts) do
        Broadway.start_link(__MODULE__,
          name: __MODULE__,
          producer: [
            module: {BroadwayRabbitMQ.Producer,
              queue: "",
              connection: [
                username: "guest",
                password: "guest",
                host: "localhost"
              ],
              merge_options: fn (index) ->
                queue_name = Enum.fetch!(unquote(queue_names), index)  #<---- Replace `@queue_names` with `unquote(queue_names)`
                Logger.info(" connecting to queue #{queue_name}")
                [queue: queue_name]
              end
            },
            concurrency: 1
          ],
          processors: [
            default: [
              concurrency: 10
            ]
          ]
        )
      end
    end
  end
end

Then in each of your actual worker module, just use MQWorker, ["queue1", "queue2", ...] and implement handle_message/3

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

I may be missing some complexity, but can’t you just pass the variable bits into the opts param of start_link that you’re not using?

Aetherus

Aetherus

The problem is, for different queues, there are different message handling logic. Maybe we can pack each queue name and the corresponding message handling into a module, and pass that module to a “factory function” that creates the process.

rept

rept OP

I tried the metaprogramming suggestion, works too and looks even cleaner!

Thanks.

I’ve added workers like this:

defmacro __using__({queue_names, workers}) do

....

      processors: [
        default: [
          concurrency: unquote(workers)
        ]
      ]

And now call it like this:

use MQWorker, {["messages2"], 10}

Seems to work.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews