josefrichter
Hi. I am trying to update older project to latest elixir, phoenix and all dependencies.
I am still running into (Mix) Could not compile dependency :telemetry
I’ve googled solutions, tried reinstalling rebar, etc. But still can’t figure it out. I have to say I’m a bit out of my depth here.
This is the full error:
❯ mix compile
/bin/sh: -c: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/bin/sh: -c: line 0: `(/Users/josefrichter/.asdf/installs/elixir/1.14.3-otp-25/.mix/elixir/1-14/rebar3 bare compile --paths /Users/josefrichter/Dropbox (Personal)/code/elixir/organizer/_build/dev/lib/*/ebin'
** (Mix) Could not compile dependency :telemetry, "/Users/josefrichter/.asdf/installs/elixir/1.14.3-otp-25/.mix/elixir/1-14/rebar3 bare compile --paths /Users/josefrichter/Dropbox (Personal)/code/elixir/organizer/_build/dev/lib/*/ebin" command failed. Errors may have been logged above. You can recompile this dependency with "mix deps.compile telemetry", update it with "mix deps.update telemetry" or clean it with "mix deps.clean telemetry"
Any suggestions, please? Thank you.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
D4no0
First of all try to remove the
_builddirectory in your project, then if it doesn’t help make sure that your elixir is compiled with correct OTP version, for example in your case your elixir is compiled with OTP 25, so you should have this version as OTP you are using currently.josefrichter
All this seems to be ok, I tried all that. I even tried to reinstall elixir, rebar, etc. to make sure all versions are correct. But now I’m already running out of ideas.
D4no0
I see you are using the SH, have you tried using bash, I used to have some problems with sh myself, especially on alpine containers.
josefrichter
I’ve been using zsh, but tried toggling to bash and sh too. Still the exact same error.
I am using asdf, if that plays any role.
The clash seems to be between rebar3 and telemetry.
Any ideas, please?
LostKobrakai
I’d suggest trying a path without spaces and/or parenthesis.
BradS2S
Yeah maybe try escaping the white space in the path
LostKobrakai
Usually one is not in control of the places those paths are handled in. Therefore I still suggest avoiding such paths for development to begin with.
josefrichter
That actually worked
Thank you!
BradS2S
I’ve had this exact same issue in the past. It would be nice if the error said something like “destination not found” or something maybe
tristan
Can you open an issue on Elixir about this? It looks like the mix compiler that calls rebar3 isn’t escaping or quoting paths.