jgonet

jgonet

Popcorn Core Team

Hey,
I recently started building my first Phoenix app, it’ll be a YT downloader.

Design
So, when I started implementing searching I realised that you can search for playlist, channels and videos.
I thought about two designs:

  1. create universal thumbnail template and embed switching between types in view module.
  2. create 3 separate thumbnails and use case to get type from received API response, rendering appropriate partial template

The problem
I went with 2nd solution, but after writing it Phoenix crashes. Here’s the code:

<%= for item <- @search_results["items"] do %>
  <% case kind(item["id"]) do %>
    <% :playlist -> render "playlist_thumbnail.html", data: extract_video_data(item), conn: @conn %>
    <% :video -> render "video_thumbnail.html", data: extract_video_data(item), conn: @conn %>
  <% end %>
<% end %>

def kind(%{"kind" => "youtube#playlist"}), do: :playlist
def kind(%{"kind" => "youtube#video"}), do: :video
def kind(_), do: :error

Error:

== Compilation error in file lib/yt_downloader_web/views/search_view.ex ==
** (SyntaxError) lib/yt_downloader_web/templates/search/search.html.eex:3: syntax error before: ‘->’
(eex) lib/eex/compiler.ex:45: EEx.Compiler.generate_buffer/4
(eex) lib/eex/compiler.ex:54: EEx.Compiler.generate_buffer/4
(phoenix) lib/phoenix/template.ex:378: Phoenix.Template.compile/2
(phoenix) lib/phoenix/template.ex:186: anonymous fn/3 in Phoenix.Template.“MACRO-before_compile”/2
(elixir) lib/enum.ex:1899: Enum.“-reduce/3-lists^foldl/2-0-”/3
(phoenix) expanding macro: Phoenix.Template.before_compile/1
lib/yt_downloader_web/views/search_view.ex:1: YtDownloaderWeb.SearchView (module)
(elixir) lib/kernel/parallel_compiler.ex:198: anonymous fn/4 in Kernel.ParallelCompiler.spawn_workers/6

Questions

  1. Did I missed something in case?
  2. Is there simpler or more Phoenixy way to do this?

EDIT:
I got it working by using:

<%= for item <- @search_results["items"] do %>
  <%= case kind(item["id"]) do %>
    <% :playlist -> %> <%= render "playlist_thumbnail.html", data: extract_video_data(item), conn: @conn %>
    <% :video -> %> <%= render "video_thumbnail.html", data: extract_video_data(item), conn: @conn %>
  <% end %>
<% end %>

But I still dunno why this is working and why earlier code wasn’t working. Anybody?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

peerreynders

peerreynders

EEx - Tags:

All expressions that output something to the template must use the equals sign (=). Since everything in Elixir is an expression, there are no exceptions for this rule.

i.e. case/2 is an expression, not some kind of a switch statement.

jgonet

jgonet OP

Popcorn Core Team

Okey, but even with double <%= %> in case and comprehension it crashes. I didn’t go digging into macros yet, but if I understand this correctly case/2 evaluates to matching expression or nil. Doesn’t that mean I should be able to connect match -> and render call into one <% %> as this is in body of case?

peerreynders

peerreynders

You’re the one with access to the source code - tried this yet?

<%= for item <- @search_results["items"] do
      case kind(item["id"]) do
        :playlist -> 
          render "playlist_thumbnail.html", data: extract_video_data(item), conn: @conn
        :video -> 
          render "video_thumbnail.html", data: extract_video_data(item), conn: @conn 
      end
    end %>

or

<%= for item <- @search_results["items"] do %>
  <%= case kind(item["id"]) do
        :playlist -> 
          render "playlist_thumbnail.html", data: extract_video_data(item), conn: @conn
        :video -> 
          render "video_thumbnail.html", data: extract_video_data(item), conn: @conn 
      end %>
<% end %>
jgonet

jgonet OP

Popcorn Core Team

Oooh, I was convinced that I have to use <% %> per line.

Thank you so much, this is working.

Sidenote:
As a beginner I’m kinda confused in official guide, I couldn’t find anywhere guide that tell where I should put what. For instance, entire folder structure, design guide, etc. There’re bits of this knowledge shattered in docs, but some page gathering this would be very helpful.

peerreynders

peerreynders

In this case I was just extrapolating from the example:

<%= if true do %>
  It is obviously true
<% else %>
  This will never appear
<% end %>

Knowing that everything in Elixir is an expression if true evaluates to "It is obviously true". If I’m not mistaken that could be rewritten as:

<%= if true do
      "It is obviously true"
    else
      "This will never appear"
    end %>

so the separate <% %> are just there to keep the quotes around the strings out of the template.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews