iog-kc

iog-kc

We have a query that does a left outer join on a child table and then uses select_merge to merge dynamically selected fields from the child row into the parent. However, when there is no child row, the call to map fails with cannot merge because the right side is not a map, got: nil. Is there a way to get the call to map to use an empty map for merging when there isn’t a row to merge?

As a simplified example (assume that Product exists and has virtual fields for the translated fields in
Product.Translation), we have the function below where the translated_fields are provided contextually (for a product list, you might just want the name, but on a product display page, you want the description as well):

def product_with_translations(sku_code, locale, translated_fields \\ ~w(name)a) do
  Product
  |> from(as: :product)
  |> where(sku_code: ^sku_code)
  |> join(
    :left, [product: p],
    t in Product.Translation,
    on: t.product_id == p.id and t.locale == ^locale,
    as: :translation
  )
  |> select([product: p], p)
  |> select_merge([translation: t], map(t, ^translated_fields))
end

As long as the associated Product.Translation exists, this works beautifully. However, if we were to ask for locale de-DE and don’t have it we receive an ArgumentError:

iex> Repo.one(product_with_translations("123", "fr-CA", ~w(name description)a))
** (ArgumentError) cannot merge because the right side is not a map, got: nil

Nominally, it seems that this should work, but how can we make map produce a default empty map on a left outer join? Or is this an Ecto bug or missing feature?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

fuelen

fuelen

Are translated_fields really dynamic?
If no, then I’d recommend to use simpler select expression:

|> select([product: p, translation: t], %{p | name: coalesce(t.name, p.name)})

actually, multiple select_merge can be composed:

translated_fields
|> Enum.reduce(query, fn
  # it would be great to have something like this:
  # field, query ->
  #   query |> select_merge([product: p, translation:t], %{^field => coalesce(field(t, ^field), field(p, ^field))})
  # but dynamic atoms are not supported as a field key
  :name, query ->
    query
    |> select_merge([product: p, translation: t], %{name: coalesce(t.name, p.name)})
  :description, query ->
    query
    |> select_merge([product: p, translation: t], %{description: coalesce(t.description, p.description)})
end)
iog-kc

iog-kc OP

Yes, the fields are dynamic. While the example I provided does use a single table, we are using this with multiple tables that all have a translations child relationship. We are using a function to get both the child schema and the fields that need to be mapped with select_merge.

halostatue

halostatue

I have opened this as a bug in the Ecto tracker #3218 as the more I think about this, map(t, ^fields) should probably act the same as Map.take(t || %{}, fields) would in pure Elixir.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews