versilov

versilov

How can I write this query in Ecto?

SELECT 
    *,
    (SELECT COUNT(o.id) FROM tenant_versilov.orders o 
               LEFT OUTER JOIN tenant_versilov.shipments s ON s.order_id = o.id
               WHERE o.company_id = c.id AND s.id IS NULL AND NOT o.archived) orders_count,
    (SELECT COUNT(s.id) FROM tenant_versilov.shipments s
               LEFT OUTER JOIN tenant_versilov.orders o ON s.order_id = o.id
              WHERE o.company_id = c.id AND s.batch_id IS NULL) shipments_count        
FROM tenant_versilov.companies c
WHERE c.active = TRUE;

The closest approach is to use select_merge with fragments, but fragments do not allow to interpolate strings to set schemas:

query
|> select_merge([c], %{
      shipments_count:
        fragment(
           "(SELECT COUNT(s.id) FROM tenant_versilov.shipments s
                            LEFT OUTER JOIN tenant_versilov.orders o ON s.order_id = o.id
                            WHERE o.company_id = c0.id AND s.batch_id IS NULL)"
      )

Showing Posts 1 to 4

hauleth

hauleth

You can just use JOINs. I am on a mobile right now, so I will not rewrite that query for you, but I believe that you can do it on your own.

versilov

versilov OP

Yes, I used JOINs with subqueries, but as I need two aggregate parameters, and they both use the same tables, my JOINs somehow mix between each other and give wrong numbers.
Here is my approach:

    orders_query =
      from(ord in Order,
        select: [:id, :company_id],
        left_join: s in assoc(ord, :shipments),
        where: not ord.archived and is_nil(s.id)
      )

    shipments_query =
      from(sh in Shipment,
        left_join: o2 in assoc(sh, :order),
        where: is_nil(sh.batch_id),
        select: %{id: sh.id, company_id: o2.company_id}
      )

    Company
    |> filter_by_user(user)
    |> only_active(true)
    |> join(:left, [c], o in subquery(orders_query), on: o.company_id == c.id, as: :orders)
    |> join(:left, [c], s in subquery(shipments_query), on: s.company_id == c.id, as: :shipments)
    |> group_by([c], c.id)
    |> select_merge([c, o, s], %{
      orders_count: count(o.id),
      shipments_count: count(s.id)
    })
    |> Repo.all(prefix: tenant)
hauleth

hauleth

What you probably want is something like:

SELECT
  c.*,
  orders.count,
  s.count
FROM companies c
INNER JOIN (SELECT o.company_id company_id, COUNT(*) count
            FROM orders o
            LEFT OUTER JOIN shipments s ON s.order_id = o.id
            WHERE s.id IS NULL AND NOT o.archived
            GROUP BY o.company_id) orders
    ON orders.company_id = c.id
-- and so on

So in Elixir it would be like:

orders_query =
  from o in Order,
    left_outer_join: s in assoc(o, :shipments),
    where: not o.archived and is_nil(s.id),
    group_by: o.company_id,
    select: %{id: o.company_id, count: count()}

shipments_query =
  from s in Shipment,
    left_inner_join: o in assoc(sh, :order),
    where: is_nil(s.batch_id),
    select: %{id: o.company_id, count: count()}

from c in Company,
  left_inner_join: o in subquery(orders_query), on: o.id == c.id,
  left_inner_join: s in subquery(shipments_query), on: s.id == c.id,
  select_merge: %{orders_count: o.count, shipments_count: s.count}
versilov

versilov OP

With minor modifications it worked, thanks!
Had to add group_by and coalesce to deal with nil count values.
Here is the final working query:

   orders_query =
      from(o in Order,
        left_join: s in assoc(o, :shipments),
        where: not o.archived and is_nil(s.id),
        group_by: o.company_id,
        select: %{company_id: o.company_id, count: count()}
      )

    shipments_query =
      from(s in Shipment,
        inner_join: o in assoc(s, :order),
        where: is_nil(s.batch_id),
        group_by: o.company_id,
        select: %{company_id: o.company_id, count: count()}
      )

    Company
    |> filter_by_user(user)
    |> only_active(true)
    |> join(:left, [c], o in subquery(orders_query), on: o.company_id == c.id)
    |> join(:left, [c], s in subquery(shipments_query), on: s.company_id == c.id)
    |> group_by([c, o, s], [c.id, o.count, s.count])
    |> select_merge([c, o, s], %{
      orders_count: coalesce(o.count, 0),
      shipments_count: coalesce(s.count, 0)
    })
    |> Repo.all(prefix: tenant)
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews