manuel-rubio

manuel-rubio

I created Passby, a mock HTTP server written 100% in Elixir with 0 runtime dependencies.

It is designed as a lightweight drop-in replacement for Bypass, keeping the same API and semantics without pulling in plug_cowboy, cowboy, cowlib, or ranch into your test environment.

Quick Example

test "fetches user profile" do
  bypass = Passby.open()

  Passby.expect_once(bypass, "GET", "/api/users/42", fn conn ->
    Passby.Conn.resp(conn, 200, ~s({"id": 42, "name": "Alice"}))
  end)

  url = "http://127.0.0.1:#{bypass.port}/api/users/42"
  assert {:ok, %{"name" => "Alice"}} = MyClient.get_user(url)
end

Links

• Hex.pm: passby | Hex
• HexDocs: passby v0.1.0 — Documentation
• GitHub:

Feedback and contributions are welcome!

Showing Posts 1 to 4

wojtekmach

wojtekmach

Hex Core Team

This is great! The only thing I’d additionally consider is maybe adding a convenience struct.url field:

- url = "http://127.0.0.1:#{bypass.port}/api/users/42"
- assert {:ok, %{"name" => "Alice"}} = MyClient.get_user(url)
+ assert {:ok, %{"name" => "Alice"}} = MyClient.get_user("#{bypass.url}/api/users/42")

or having a separate some kind of %{url: url} = Passby.start(). In any case, awesome idea with (essentially) zero dependency replacement!

Edit: oh, it truly has zero dependencies as you’re re-implementing most commonly used Plug API. That’s interesting!

krasenyp

krasenyp

Very good! I usually prefer to have a real server to test network-touching code. It’s a welcome addition to the ecosystem.

manuel-rubio

manuel-rubio OP

I’ve just added this in passby v0.1.1 while keeping 100% backward compatibility with Bypass:

Now %Passby{} includes the `.url` field, and there’s also a helper Passby.url/1,2:

# 1. Using the struct field:
assert {:ok, %{"name" => "Alice"}} = MyClient.get_user("#{bypass.url}/api/users/42")

# 2. Or using the Passby.url/2 helper (handles leading slashes automatically):
assert {:ok, %{"name" => "Alice"}} = MyClient.get_user(Passby.url(bypass, "/api/users/42"))

# 3. Existing Bypass-style code using .port continues to work unchanged:
assert {:ok, %{"name" => "Alice"}} = MyClient.get_user("http://127.0.0.1:#{bypass.port}/api/users/42")

Regarding the zero dependencies, yes, exactly! It relies entirely on standard Erlang/OTP (:gen_tcp, :inet, and :erlang.decode_packet) and provides a lightweight Passby.Conn struct matching Plug.Conn’s API conventions. This allows existing tests to migrate cleanly without bringing Cowboy, Ranch, or Plug into the dependency tree.

Thanks again for the input!

manuel-rubio

manuel-rubio OP

New passby v0.2.0, which ensures better compatibility with params (mainly path_params).

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews