jam
This was an interesting post by Jose. Curious to hear what others think. Evolving programming languages in the AI era - Dashbit Blog
Generally I think what’s good for humans will be good for LLMs. I think it would be unfortunate to optimize for LLMs forsaking human involvement / code readability etc.
I think there are several excellent points particularly the observability one. I’m not sure explicit static types are that beneficial. Mainly seems like more noise for little to no gain.
Program databases over LSPs
Isn’t this Dexter? Anyone tried it out?
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
josevalim
Most LSPs, including Expert and Dexter, have a database inside but, as far as I know, none of them expose it via a query language.
rhcarvalho
And a challenge with such database is that it is constantly needing to reconcile with the data on disk.
Reminds me how both SQLite3 and DuckDB are able to query over data stored elsewhere.
schwarz
Not necessarily. Sometimes what would be best for both humans and agents is actually too tedious to stick to for humans in practice. See Elm or even DHH’s Rails World 2026 keynote about moving to Rust.
A great of example of targeting LLM capabilities and agents is the MoonBit language. The team is doing a fantastic job building tooling and tweaking the language itself to optimize for agentic outcomes. And we’re seeing more and more of these ideas in the Elixir world already, because it does help.
On the topic of types: As a human I love having types right there in the code, documenting without the risk of being stale.
webofbits
it looks like someone already built something similar months ago: elixir-ontologies/guides/users/getting-started.md at main · pcharbon70/elixir-ontologies · GitHub (query an RDF knowlege graph)
sodapopcan
Oh hey, a José jump scare

EDIT within the timeframe before it even shows I made an edit: Looking at your activity I now realize you’ve been pretty active relative to the recent activity on this forum so, uh, my joke sucks
caleb-bb
The bit on “stronger guarantees” gave me pause.
Stronger guarantees is why I think that Rust is going to be enormously important as we move into agentic coding. You can’t really trust an agent to write memory-safe C++, for example, but in Rust you don’t have that problem because it’s memory safe if it compiles (barring the use of Dark Arts…).
I guess that the capability to develop memory-safe code in older languages might arise with guardrails, but that’s going to require scaffolding and eat up context that could be used for other things. Which leads me to my next point: one big design consideration will be asking ourselves what we can offload to static analysis. Rust, in particular, allows us to offload memory safety almost entirely, so it has a huge advantage.
This is also why my RAG framework focuses so heavily on static analysis, especially the kinds of static analysis that catch agentic errors. For example, property testing, which enforces invariants thus defeating overfitting.