benonymus
Hey there,
I have been using Ecto.Multi — Ecto v3.14.0 for a while now, and I was wondering what kind of convention do other people follow when they are naming the operations, especially when it is a Multi in an Enum.reduce/3.
With a regular Multi I usually use an atom as the examples do.
For a Multi in an reduce such as:
Enum.reduce(user_ids, Multi.new(), fn user_id, multi ->
blocked_user = Accounts.get_user_by_hash_id(user_id)
changeset = Block.changeset(%Block{}, user, blocked_user)
multi
|> Multi.insert("user_block_#{user.id}_#{blocked_user.id}", changeset)
end)
|> Repo.transaction()
I mostly use a string based on the structs I use, but this relies on both of them having an id and found.
Sometimes I use a uuid appended after the “user_block” for example, and in the docs I saw I could use a tuple.
How about you?
Trending in Discussions
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
jdj_dk
I do the same as you. It works fine IMO. But perhaps there is a better way?
LostKobrakai
You can use any term for naming you multi steps, not just atoms/strings. When mapping/reducing over lists I usually use tuples like
{:products, product.id}or something like that.jdj_dk
I will start doing that going forward. Will make it much easier to pattern match on errors. Thanks for highlighting that.
dimitarvp
I also use tuples. When you don’t know the ID beforehand you can just use a counter. See
Enum.with_index.When inserting I use tuples like
{:insert, :product, index}.