Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a more dedicated IDE/editor specifically for Elixir.
Something built around Elixir, OTP, Phoenix, LiveView, Mix, IEx, etc.
Do you think there is a need for something like this?
And if someone started an open-source Elixir-first editor, would you be interested in helping build it?
Also, what features do you feel are missing from your current editor?
Trending in Discussions
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Emily is an Elixir library that runs Nx computations on Apple’s MLX. Install it as the default Nx backend and Nx, defn, Axon, Nx.Serving,...
New
(I just needed to vent somewhere and LinkedIn is full of hope, or hype, I’m not sure which exactly)
AI dream has many faces, but general...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #ai
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
dimitarvp
Neovim. The LazyVim “distro” with my own preferences on top (not many, the thing is great out of the box).
Amazingly fast and bug-free. Rarely have I seen such a good work done with editor plugins collection (distro). Very happy with it.
NobbZ
Hi,
there exists Which code editor or IDE do you use? (Poll) (2022 Edition), and I thought there would be '23, '24, and so on editions as well, though my search-fu isn’t strong today…
To add to the actual topic:
I do use neovim, with a handcrafted config, not any distribution.
The config is public at https://github.com/nobbz/nobbz-vim, in case you are interested.
In case you are a nix user and have flakes enabled, you can even testrun it using
nix run github:nobbz/nobbz-vim.DaAnalyst
IntelliJ IDEA
kevinschweikert
For me it’s just missing automatic file reload.
I don’t feel the need for any plugins because it hat LSP/Treesitter/Fuzzy Search builtin but there is an open PR for an embedded Scheme plugin language which is eagerly awaited
mudasobwa
NeoVim/LunarVim
Last 15 years people tend to resolve different languages in editors via LSP (and MCP nowadays.) The last language-specific IDE I can recall was MS Visual Studio.
That being said, I honestly see zero sense in creating new editor, that effort might be better put into improving your LSP/MCP, which I already did with
ragexfor my own happiness.webofbits
Neovim with my own lua files. Simple and fast! GitHub - ccarvalho-eng/nvim-elixir-config: Opinionated Neovim config for Elixir · GitHub
webofbits
I used LazyVim, but after a while it began to feel slow and bloated with features I never used. I also had to add my own Elixir test plugin because the built-in one didn’t pause the output for debugging, at least the last time I used it. A minimal configuration also makes me more comfortable since I can customize it exactly to my liking without reading Lazyvim documentation.
dimitarvp
Interesting – I never once used debugging so I am blind to those defects.
To me it’s still super fast and I use it on an aging Intel Mac, a Ryzen laptop, and a WSL VM inside a mid-range gaming machine – it’s practically instant for anything I need from it on all places.
Bloat I am not too worried about. As long as the editor is snappy, which it is.
webofbits
I see. The thing is that you dont need much with Neovim. I even had a one file config with all I needed for work so at some point plugins become mostly cosmetic stuff for better visual/UX
AndyL
Neovim - great editor, strong community, steady improvement. Claude is good at editing Neovim config files and lua scripts.
IMO, biggest bang for the buck would be contributions to Expert (code actions eg
rename module,extract variable, etc.)