ericaclw
I have a simple app that I want to add unique constraint to one of the field. Even after I have created index in migration file and the unique_constraint in schema, errors show that I do not have any constraint in changeset.
product.ex
defmodule TestUniqueConstraint.Shop.Product do
use Ecto.Schema
import Ecto.Changeset
schema "products" do
field :email, :string
timestamps()
end
@doc false
def changeset(product, attrs) do
product
|> cast(attrs, [:email])
|> validate_required([:email])
|> unique_constraint(:email)
end
end
migration file
defmodule TestUniqueConstraint.Repo.Migrations.CreateProducts do
use Ecto.Migration
def change do
create table(:products) do
add :email, :string
timestamps()
end
create unique_index(:products, [:email])
end
end
Error shown after adding the same product with same email twice:
** (Ecto.ConstraintError) constraint error when attempting to insert struct:
* products_email_index (unique_constraint)
If you would like to stop this constraint violation from raising an
exception and instead add it as an error to your changeset, please
call `unique_constraint/3` on your changeset with the constraint
`:name` as an option.
The changeset has not defined any constraint.
(ecto 3.5.8) lib/ecto/repo/schema.ex:688: anonymous fn/4 in Ecto.Repo.Schema.constraints_to_errors/3
(elixir 1.11.2) lib/enum.ex:1399: Enum."-map/2-lists^map/1-0-"/2
(ecto 3.5.8) lib/ecto/repo/schema.ex:673: Ecto.Repo.Schema.constraints_to_errors/3
(ecto 3.5.8) lib/ecto/repo/schema.ex:654: Ecto.Repo.Schema.apply/4
(ecto 3.5.8) lib/ecto/repo/schema.ex:262: anonymous fn/15 in Ecto.Repo.Schema.do_insert/4
(ecto 3.5.8) lib/ecto/repo/schema.ex:164: Ecto.Repo.Schema.insert!/4
Are there any steps I have missed?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
joshdcuneo
Does your code call the changeset function? I have run into this before where I was calling Repo.delete with a struct directly and not a changeset.
ericaclw
That’s right. I have been writing seeds file and using Repo.insert directly with a struct. When I test it manually, I entirely forgot about using the changeset function. That works now. Thanks!
joshdcuneo
You’re welcome. Easy to miss!
MarkMekhaiel
2 years later and saving my bacon muchas gracias