hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

So when I would be building XML API (not JSON API) what do you recommend I use?

Showing Posts 1 to 9

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki OP

thanks!

I ended up with the simplest solution, probably: EEX template.

ChaseGilliam

ChaseGilliam

Could you share some info about how you set up your controller to properly serve xml?

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Pretty identically to json, you’ll just need to change the json type to xml, name the templates properly, then just fill them out, or like html you can do it as text templates. :slight_smile:

Look in the ‘View(s)’ documentation for Phoenix for details. :slight_smile:

ChaseGilliam

ChaseGilliam

I guess I could do something like:
render api_response.xml.eex

Then in my api_response.xml.eex, do I just build up the xml the way I would with html?

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

That is one way yep. Or you can make a custom render function that builds up valid xml via one of the xml libraries and returns it as an iolist or so? :slight_smile:

ChaseGilliam

ChaseGilliam

Neat. I’ll have to put in a PR to the docs if I eventually put together something clean.

ChaseGilliam

ChaseGilliam

So what I came up with was something like:

def create(conn, _params) do
    {:ok, data, _conn_details} = Plug.Conn.read_body(conn)
    thing =
      data
        |> Integration.build_the_thing
    xml = Thing.to_xml(thing)
    conn
     |> put_layout(:xml)
     |> put_resp_content_type("text/xml")
     |> render("thing_xml.xml", xml: xml)
 end

Then a thing_xml.xml.eex template something like this:

<Things>
  <ShowAlert>True</ShowAlert>
  <DisplayText>
    <%= @thing_xml %>
  </DisplayText>
</Things>

I’m parsing conn body with sweet_xml. It all works but its like a 300ms round trip so I guess I need to work on the specifics a bit, because 300ms seems a touch slow for this.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Are you in the ‘dev’ environment? If so then that is why as it checks for and recompiles everything needed on every request, even if no recompiles are needed then it still slows it down because of the checks. Prod mode is much faster.

Plus make sure you are not on windows, it adds a delay regardless because the windows networking stack sucks. ^.^

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews