malvinbozniak
Hi there !
I’m Malvin and I’m new to FP in general.
I’ve started reading about FP and Elixir, and I found them so exciting ![]()
Well, my first question for you is what the subject states.
When I chain functions in a pipe, do them run in parallel (like Unix piped commands do) ?
Or do I need to use specific syntax to do it so ?
Thanks & regards !
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
The functions are called sequentially, they might trigger computations that happen concurrently or lazily…
Always remember that
a |> f()just is a macro that expands intof(a).david_ex
As @NobbZ said, piping in Elixir is just syntactic sugar for readability. If you want to distribute work across CPU cores, you’ll want to look at something like GitHub - dashbitco/flow: Computational parallel flows on top of GenStage · GitHub (there’s a video presentation linked in the README there).
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
And flow (as recommended by @david_ex) builds on top of GenStage. Depending on the complexity of what you are trying to achieve, a more barebones approach (using GenStage) may be worthwhile when compared to the more nuclear one using Flow… or Broadway which is also really nice but attacks a different use case (more focused on metrics rather than pure data).
And if you really enjoy concurrent programming, you may want to keep your heads up for Hastega’s successor.
Overall, there are a multitude of options when you want concurrency in Elixir. But since you are starting (welcome, btw!) perhaps a concurrent map elixir recipe will be more suited for your needs:
I still remember when Joe (God rest his soul in peace) introduced
pmapin his erlang classes. I was blown away by it’s simplicity, I hope you are toomalvinbozniak
Very valuable answers
Thank you all partners !