carlgleisner

carlgleisner

Is it supported to have eager_check?: true run on identities when the identity consists of more than one attribute?

I have a compound identity that indeed returns errors on submission with Postgres as data layer. On another resource using an identity with a single attribute I do get eager checking on validation however, as one would expect of course.

identities do
    identity :imaginative_party_name, [:host_id, :party_name] do
      eager_check? true
      message "success not possible if you insist on reusing party names all the time"
    end
  end

Looking at the documentation I cannot tell that this would not be supported. If so, then maybe this could be pointed out?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Are you saying that eager checking is not working for your compound identity?

carlgleisner

carlgleisner OP

Yes I’m sorry for failing to make that explicit.

I’ll revert with a reproduction (have a few of those outstanding at the moment).

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Interesting. It should work :slight_smile: If not then its a bug.

carlgleisner

carlgleisner OP

It works :slightly_smiling_face:

The thing was that I was using argument for the input of the key of the related record together with a change with manage_relationship. As I understand it now this is intended behaviour.

I dug up a few of your messages in the Discord which I think explain it:

I think you [i.e. another person] may be running into an issue around when managed relationships actually happen. Managing relationships is a bit special insofar as the logic to actually do so is handled by calling the action.

So when your validation runs, the technician_id is never going to be set.

You have a few options:

  1. don’t use managed relationships for the belongs_to relationship
  2. run your validation in an after_action hook in a custom change
  3. run your validations in the action, based on the arguments instead

You put examples in there as well, very helpful. Maybe I could copy these here as well if appropriate?

Humbly, maybe a note in the documentation could be of use for others? I’d be happy to provide a PR as a starting point if desirable.

Sidenote

I’m yet to try out the solutions you suggested since for now it’s just fine for me to not use argument+change. But I did wonder whether that also solves not getting errors after submission when passing in input that does not relate to the id of an existing record.

Reference codebase

I used this little reproduction for testing for future reference.

But I guess it’s technically not a “reproduction” when there is no actual issue :slight_smile:

https://github.com/carlgleisner/ash_phoenix_reproduction

EDIT: I should edit the title of this post for posterity

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

You would have my utmost gratitude :bowing_man:

This one would probably be a separate issue? Likely has something to do with input names not matching? But curious to see if its still an issue after your change :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews