How does pattern matching with structs work?

If structs are just maps underneath then how does pattern matching to ensure struct type work?

For example:

defmodule Attendee do
    defstruct name: "", paid: false, over_18: true

def may_attend_after_party(attendee = %Attendee{}) do
        attendee.paid && attendee.over_18
    end

def may_attend_after_party_without_struct(attendee = %{name: "", paid: false, over_18: true}) do
    end
end
iex(1)> Attendee.may_attend_after_party(%Attendee{name: "John"})
false
iex(2)> Attendee.may_attend_after_party(%Attendee{name: "John", paid: true})
true
iex(3)> Attendee.may_attend_after_party_without_struct(%Attendee{name: "John", paid: true})
** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in Attendee.may_attend_after_party_without_struct/1    

The following arguments were given to Attendee.may_attend_after_party_without_struct/1:

# 1
        %Attendee{name: "John", over_18: true, paid: true}

structwtf.exs:8: Attendee.may_attend_after_party_without_struct/1
iex(4)>

%Attendee{} evaluates to %Attendee{name: "", over_18: true, paid: false}, and if structs are just maps underneath, then shouldn’t the behaviour remain similar?

Your example code omits the definition of Attendee.may_attend_after_party_without_struct/1; I tried def may_attend_after_party_without_struct(attendee = %{}) do and it worked, so you’ll need to provide more information about what behavior you’re expecting.

My bad, updated the example

Structs have a magic hidden key __struct__ which gets implicitly matched on when you prepend the struct module in between % and {. The default key/values are not filled in for matches, just the struct key.

2 Likes

In fact they are! :smiling_imp:

iex> Map.put(%{}, :__struct__, Attendee)       
%{__struct__: Attendee}

iex> %Attendee{}
%Attendee{name: "", over_18: true, paid: false}

What happen here? First of all the struct is not valid only because “some map” have __struct__ key even if value is valid. The map needs to have all keys available for such struct. The rest is sugar when inspecting.

The %{} syntax or more precisely % special form is just handled differently. Just to imagine:

defmodule Example do
  def add(a, b), do: a + b
  def add_alt(a, b), do: {:ok, add(a, b)}
end

The only difference between add/2 and add_alt/2 is that first returns just the result and second wraps it in “ok-tuple” which is useful for error handling.

If you check how it’s AST you would see that’s almost the same as in my example:

iex> quote do
  %Attendee{name: "", over_18: true, paid: false}
end
{:%, [],
 [
   {:__aliases__, [alias: false], [:Attendee]},
   {:%{}, [], [name: "", over_18: true, paid: false]}
 ]}

So inside % special form simple map (%{}) is used. The special form simply adds to your map a struct keys with their default values or nil if default value is not specified.

For more information see: %/2 special form

3 Likes

I’m not certain, but i think the way you pattern match in your function “without struct” is not what you intend to do. What you have is:

def may_attend_after_party_without_struct(attendee = %{name: "", paid: false, over_18: true}) do

That means only maps are “matched”, that

• have an empty name
  • did not pay
  • and are over 18

I think what you actually want is just matching the existence of the keys, as in the following

def may_attend_after_party_without_struct(attendee = %{name: _, paid: _, over_18: _}) do
end

See how i tell the function head that i want the map to contain those three keys (:name, :paid and :over_18), but i discard the value of those keys - that way i “allow” any value.

Is this what you were hoping for?

1 Like

I understand your pattern matching snippet, and in fact that is what I would expect to work.

However, because structs are matched in this manner:

end

and because %Attendee{} evaluates to %Attendee{name: "", over_18: true, paid: false} I expected the other behaviour to work.

However @ityonemo has given a very concise answer about why this works and @Eiji has provided an amazing demonstration of the fact.

Thanks a lot! This was my first interaction with the Elixir community, and makes me very happy to be a part of it :smile:

Do you mean those are the default values, if you create an empty Attendee struct? Because as with maps - at least i think - the pattern matching for “apparently empty stuff” is maybe not instantly obvious:

iex(1)> map = %{} = %{a: "foo", b: "bar"}
%{a: "foo", b: "bar"}
iex(2)> map
%{a: "foo", b: "bar"}

As you can see, the “empty map” %{} doe not only match empty maps, but any map. That tends to be very useful for the typical use. But that also means your usage of

does not mean you are trying to match an empty attendee or a default attendee. It means you are matching any attendee struct, no matter the contents.

I hope that was clear - does it make sense to you, the way i described it?

1 Like

“Evaluates to” is the gotcha here, the arguments of a function are always a “match context” which has special properties - this:

def some_fun(whole_arg = %{single_value: v}) do

and this:

def some_fun(%{single_value: v} = whole_arg) do

both result in the same function that matches a map with a single_value key and binds whole_arg and v.

This is not the same = that you get when writing those statements alone:

# requires `v` to be defined beforehand, binds a new map `whole_arg`
# always succeeds
whole_arg = %{single_value: v}

# vs

# requires `whole_arg` to be defined beforehand as a map, binds `v` 
# fails with MatchError if `whole_arg` does not have a :single_value key
%{single_value: v} = whole_arg

I suspect this is why it’s a common convention to write pattern-matches on structs on the left-hand side:

def may_attend_after_party(%Attendee{} = attendee) do

as it’s clearly distinguishable from the “evaluation” =.

1 Like