sezaru

sezaru

Sometimes I get some errors in my log that doesn’t have enough information to allow me to reproduce the issue.

So I was wondering how can I add custom metadata to a process so when a new error is logged, that metadata is show too.

I know that you can do something like this with Logger.metadata, but AFAIK, this only works with structured data, basically you define in the config the keys you accept as metadata and that is what I you can use in all your project.

What I want is to be able to add custom data depending on what I’m doing. For example, if I’m processing some data from a crypto market like BTC_USDT, then I would like my log to show something like market: BTC_USDT when an error is logged.

In other words, I don’t want to have to fill the metadata config with a bunch of keys for every time I want to add a new metadata in my codebase.

config :logger, :console,
 metadata: [...]

Showing Posts 1 to 2

sezaru

sezaru OP

I think I figured it out.

What I did was add a :other field to my metadata array, then i adde a case for my custom log formatter to handle that field.

So my config became like this:

config :logger, :console,
  level: :debug,
  metadata: [:other],
  format: {Log.Formatter, :format}

And my formatter like this:

defmodule Log.Formatter do
  @moduledoc false

  alias IO.ANSI

  @color_reset ANSI.reset()
  @highlight ANSI.light_magenta()

  def format(:debug, message, timestamp, metadata),
    do: format(:debug, message, timestamp, metadata, ANSI.cyan())

  def format(:info, message, timestamp, metadata),
    do: format(:info, message, timestamp, metadata, ANSI.green())

  def format(:notice, message, timestamp, metadata),
    do: format(:notice, message, timestamp, metadata, ANSI.light_yellow())

  def format(:warn, message, timestamp, metadata),
    do: format(:warn, message, timestamp, metadata, ANSI.yellow())

  def format(:warning, message, timestamp, metadata),
    do: format(:warn, message, timestamp, metadata, ANSI.yellow())

  def format(:error, message, timestamp, metadata),
    do: format(:error, message, timestamp, metadata, ANSI.red())

  def format(:critical, message, timestamp, metadata),
    do: format(:critical, message, timestamp, metadata, ANSI.yellow_background())

  def format(:alert, message, timestamp, metadata),
    do: format(:alert, message, timestamp, metadata, ANSI.light_red_background())

  def format(:emergency, message, timestamp, metadata),
    do: format(:emergency, message, timestamp, metadata, ANSI.red_background())

  defp format(level, message, timestamp, metadata, color) do
    date_time = format_date_time(timestamp)
    metadata = format_metadata(metadata, color)

    "\n#{color}#{date_time} [#{level}] #{metadata}\n↳ #{message}#{@color_reset}\n"
  rescue
    _ -> "Could not format message: #{inspect({level, message, timestamp, metadata})}"
  end

  # This is the function I added
  defp format_metadata([{:other, value} | rest], color) do
    "#{@highlight}#{inspect(value)}#{color} " <> format_metadata(rest, color)
  end

  defp format_metadata([{_key, value} | rest], color) do
    "#{inspect(value)} " <> format_metadata(rest, color)
  end

  defp format_metadata([], _), do: ""

  defp format_date_time({date, time}) do
    alias Logger.Formatter

    "#{Formatter.format_date(date)} #{Formatter.format_time(time)}"
  end
end

That way, I can send any data to it using the other metadata,

For example, Logger.error("blibs", other: %{blibs: 2}) will be logged as:

2025-07-14 19:23:44.530 [error] #PID<0.770.0> %{blibs: 2} 
↳ blibs
axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

You can also set metadata: :all to log whatever metadata you pass.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews