Is there Elements of Clojure but for Elixir?

I’m trying to become a better programmer. Anything that helped you become better / have a better philosophy when it comes to code would be helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does “Elements of Clojure” refer to something specific, or just general philosophy of Clojure programmers?

2 Likes

I’ve read the first chapter on naming things and it was deeply influential. So I mean generally things to elevate your programming :slight_smile:

It’s a book by Zach Tellman from a few years back.

4 Likes

The first thing that jumps to mind is the OTP Design Principles document that’s part of the Erlang distribution, but I’m curious what else people find useful.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the info and the link. I haven’t read the book so I can’t compare it to anything in the Elixir ecosystem.

Would love to know how portable the philosohpy is on elixir. As I understand there’s a bit “clojure-like” design sparkled through elixir’s standard library (but can’t really confirm).

I would recommend atypeofprogramming.com which seems to share the same vibe :slight_smile:

Elixir macros are inspired by Clojure, IIRC

1 Like

Just to clarify; I mean moreso a resource to teach you the philosophy of good programming rather than something Clojure-specific.

Why not read the whole Elements of Clojure then? Sounds like there will be a lot of language-agnostic advice in there. Thinking of reading it too… Also learning a bit of other FP language should help you in Elixir too.

I’m not as experienced as other folks here, but I can recommend watching any YouTube talks by Rich Hickey, the creator of Clojure. His talks are mostly not about Clojure or other languages at all, but about the way of thinking and approaching problems. I love this one and believe everyone should watch it: https://youtu.be/f84n5oFoZBc

Looking forward to your review of Elements of Clojure here :wink:

1 Like

what about the 20th anniversary edition of The Pragmatic Programmer ?

3 Likes