abreujp

abreujp

I’ve published a new article in my Elixir learning series on dev.to exploring what happens when tagged tuples aren’t enough - the try, rescue, catch, and after constructs for truly unexpected failures.

The article covers:

  • When to use try/rescue vs the {:ok, value} / {:error, reason} pattern
  • Understanding Elixir’s built-in exception types
  • Rescuing exceptions with multiple clauses and inspecting __STACKTRACE__
  • Defining custom exceptions with defexception
  • Using catch for throws and exits - including why catch does NOT trap exit signals from other processes (I learned this the hard way)
  • The after clause for guaranteed cleanup
  • Practical guidelines for combining both error handling approaches

With complete working examples you can copy into IEx, you’ll learn when exceptions are the right tool - and when the “let it crash” philosophy serves you better.
Check it out:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Blog Posts Top

bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
zorn
An educational side project in Elixir, Phoenix, and Tauri. I share what I learned while wiring Automerge into the BEAM, including how I s...
New
andreasronge
What happens if you design tools for LLMs instead of letting LLM use human tools ? Wrote a blog on why and what that enables. As I see ...
New
zorn
:pencil: Phoenix’s built-in LiveView test helpers require you to hand-build the form payload and start a fresh pipe after every click. Wo...
New
pckrishnadas88
In the previous part of this series, we built a Worker Pool from scratch, exploring point-to-point communication where a coordinator assi...
New
ryanzidago
Up until then, I found it very hard to communicate to LLMs that I specifically do not want to handle X case because maybe it has never ha...
New
pckrishnadas88
In Elixir, send/2 is non-blocking, which means an eager producer can easily flood a slow consumer’s mailbox. Because BEAM process mailbox...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews