CastLouis

CastLouis

i have a process that i want to modify the conection timeout in ecto, but it still wit the same conection time out this is the error:

[error] Postgrex.Protocol (pid<0.319.0>) disconnected: ** (DBConnection.ConnectionError) owner pid<0.481.0> timed out because it owned the connection for longer than 15000ms

(DBConnection.ConnectionError) tcp send: closed

Showing Posts 1 to 10

Eiji

Eiji

@CastLouis: Did you checked this article? It’s guide for probably what you want.

CastLouis

CastLouis OP

i check my configurations and looks like in the example, the problem is that when i run the process it took more time than 15ms, and i modify the conection timeout in test.exs and in all the files and it doesn’t work.

Eiji

Eiji

@CastLouis: It looks like another problem with (default?) configuration - ping @josevalim and @fishcakez.

To be sure, please update your dependencies (especially Ecto and Postgrex).

Please also give us some info:

  1. Your OS and source of Erlang and Elixir you use like: Distro Name - Version - default/name of repo
  2. Erlang and Elixir versions
  3. Your dependencies version (again especially Ecto and Postgrex)
  4. Your database version
  5. If possible please share a minimal example to reproduce your problem with timeout
josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Thanks @Eiji.

Keep in mind that the ownership timeout is controlled by the :ownership_timeout configuration. I think we improve the error message for it in more recent versions as well.

CastLouis

CastLouis OP

Good morning
i was loading a .csv file with a lot of registry, it took a lot of time to complete, while it loading the

code of loading the file
defp parse_line_to_string(line) do
<<code::binary-size(2), _::binary-size(1), rest::binary>> = line
{code, rest}
end

the code to insert into the database:

defp parse_line_to_string(line) do
<<code::binary-size(2), _::binary-size(1), rest::binary>> = line
{code, rest}
end

#the configuration from ecto:
config :na_db,
ecto_repos: [NA.DB.Repo]

config :na_db, NA.DB.Repo,
adapter: Ecto.Adapters.Postgres,
database: “nadb”,
username: “dadmin”,
password: “d@dm!n”,
hostname: “127.0.0.1”,
pool: Ecto.Adapters.SQL.Sandbox,
port: “5432”,
timeout: 450000

i was changing and use :ownership_timeout and set more time and it doesn’t work.

Eiji

Eiji

I tried to simulate similar work (collecting data for more than 15s) and I got same error, however Supervisor for MyApp.Repo saves tests from not passing and I checked also database and all works! Elixir is just awesome!

@josevalim: Thanks! I added it to configuration and it still works same, but without errors like in this topic. I agree that we need a better error message, because I also through about other timeout configuration variables.
I have a question that is related to this topic. Is it safe to set much more bigger timeouts in configuration than default one or we need to accept some consequences? Imagine new blog will probably be rarely visited and that surprise of Elixir admin that it have a error every 15s :smiley:

@CastLouis: Make sure that you are changing it in right configuration file and be sure to follow all steps in tutorial I previously linked. As I already wrote I got same error in example application and solved it using both tutorial and José tip.

CastLouis

CastLouis OP

i was modifing the postgrex.ex, the property @timeout with more time, but the problem still,

Eiji

Eiji

@CastLouis: What you mean by postgrex.ex? You need to change configuration *.exs file in /config directory. Depends on environment that you are working on you should apply configuration change in appropriate configuration file like: test.exs.
Example config/test.exs file:

use Mix.Config

config :my_app, MyApp.Repo,
  adapter: Ecto.Adapters.Postgres,
  database: "my_app_test",
  hostname: "localhost",
  ownership_timeout: 60_000, # <- add this line
  password: "postgres",
  pool: Ecto.Adapters.SQL.Sandbox,
  username: "postgres"
CastLouis

CastLouis OP

i was modify postgrex @timeout property for chech, i was modifing the test.exs with ownership_timeout, pool_timeout and timeout too, but the problem persist and i dont know how can i find more information about it, i think the reset the machine if ecto see the changes let me.

Eiji

Eiji

@CastLouis: You missed something. Checked again Ecto tutorial step by step and be sure to add :ownership_timeout to test.exs. If you can publish your code or invite me to repository then I can fix it for you - I will create a PR. I have accounts on Github, BitBucket and GitLab

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews