marcandre
For people that love trailing commas, I released v2.0 of the freedom formatter. It is now a plugin for the builtin formatter (requires Elixir 1.13.2+).
Note that elixir-ls’s next release will support formatting plugins.
Thanks to José Valim for making formatter plugins possible
, and Pete Gamache for the initial version of the freedom_formatter.
Trending in Discussions
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Emily is an Elixir library that runs Nx computations on Apple’s MLX. Install it as the default Nx backend and Nx, defn, Axon, Nx.Serving,...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Sebb
What do you think about adding tabular code formatting?
And what do you think about making the formatter bringing all clauses to a single line when possible, eg here when the inspect is removed:
marcandre
Thanks for your question and interest
I welcome PRs for new features. At first sight, both of these seem acceptable. Care must be taken into when they would trigger or not and have good test coverage.
I personally do not intend to actually write the implementation for any new option. Trailing commas is what I am interested in. It is in my mind a different beast than the rest because it is not about readability or esthetics, it is about ease of editing and about minimizing diffs. I doubt I will propose to my colleagues to use other formatting options.
If someone else writes them, I will gladly review them and maintain them though.
AstonJ
For anyone interested, there’s a thread about trailing commas here:
arcanemachine
I stumbled on this thread after getting yet another compilation error from shuffling around the values in a long list (obviously, I moved the last one somewhere else in the list).
I think trailing commas are ugly, but they are simply more functional: Cleaner diffs, and makes it easier to shuffle values around.
Thanks for making this project! One less annoyance to babysit.