SZJX

SZJX

Now I’ve solved the problem asked in Unable to build Elixir with Erlang OTP 21: 'cannot get bootfile','no_dot_erlang.boot' and was able to successfully build and run Elixir v1.6.6 on OTP21. I then installed the binaries to usr/local/bin with make install. However, I encountered the following problem when I try to run elixir or mix with sudo:

{"init terminating in do_boot",{undef,[{elixir,start_cli,[],[]},{init,start_em,1,[]},{init,do_boot,3,[]}]}}
init terminating in do_boot ({undef,[{elixir,start_cli,[],[]},{init,start_em,1,[]},{init,do_boot,3,[]}]})

Searching related problems indicated that this is normally caused by the version mismatch between the Erlang used to build the Elixir and the current Erlang installed. However that doesn’t seem to be the case as I’m able to run those commands without root totally fine.

I wonder if there’s something in my environment variables that is not in root’s, but I don’t think so.

Also, if I try to run sudo iex, I get

2018-06-25 22:43:14.264462 crash_report        #{label=>{proc_lib,crash},report=>[[{initial_call,{supervisor_bridge,user_sup,['Argument__1']}},{pid,<0.60.0>},{registered_name,[]},{error_info,{error,undef,[{'Elixir.IEx.CLI',start,[],[]},{user_sup,start_user,3,[{file,"user_sup.erl"},{line,100}]},{user_sup,init,1,[{file,"user_sup.erl"},{line,49}]},{supervisor_bridge,init,1,[{file,"supervisor_bridge.erl"},{line,82}]},{gen_server,init_it,2,[{file,"gen_server.erl"},{line,374}]},{gen_server,init_it,6,[{file,"gen_server.erl"},{line,342}]},{proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3,[{file,"proc_lib.erl"},{line,249}]}]}},{ancestors,[kernel_sup,<0.45.0>]},{message_queue_len,0},{messages,[]},{links,[<0.47.0>]},{dictionary,[]},{trap_exit,true},{status,running},{heap_size,610},{stack_size,27},{reductions,274}],[]]}
2018-06-25 22:43:14.264511 supervisor_report   #{label=>{supervisor,start_error},report=>[{supervisor,{local,kernel_sup}},{errorContext,start_error},{reason,{undef,[{'Elixir.IEx.CLI',start,[],[]},{user_sup,start_user,3,[{file,"user_sup.erl"},{line,100}]},{user_sup,init,1,[{file,"user_sup.erl"},{line,49}]},{supervisor_bridge,init,1,[{file,"supervisor_bridge.erl"},{line,82}]},{gen_server,init_it,2,[{file,"gen_server.erl"},{line,374}]},{gen_server,init_it,6,[{file,"gen_server.erl"},{line,342}]},{proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3,[{file,"proc_lib.erl"},{line,249}]}]}},{offender,[{pid,undefined},{id,user},{mfargs,{user_sup,start,[]}},{restart_type,temporary},{shutdown,2000},{child_type,supervisor}]}]}
2018-06-25 22:43:14.266282 crash_report        #{label=>{proc_lib,crash},report=>[[{initial_call,{application_master,init,['Argument__1','Argument__2','Argument__3','Argument__4']}},{pid,<0.44.0>},{registered_name,[]},{error_info,{exit,{{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,user,{undef,[{'Elixir.IEx.CLI',start,[],[]},{user_sup,start_user,3,[{file,"user_sup.erl"},{line,100}]},{user_sup,init,1,[{file,"user_sup.erl"},{line,49}]},{supervisor_bridge,init,1,[{file,"supervisor_bridge.erl"},{line,82}]},{gen_server,init_it,2,[{file,"gen_server.erl"},{line,374}]},{gen_server,init_it,6,[{file,"gen_server.erl"},{line,342}]},{proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3,[{file,"proc_lib.erl"},{line,249}]}]}}},{kernel,start,[normal,[]]}},[{application_master,init,4,[{file,"application_master.erl"},{line,138}]},{proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3,[{file,"proc_lib.erl"},{line,249}]}]}},{ancestors,[<0.43.0>]},{message_queue_len,1},{messages,[{'EXIT',<0.45.0>,normal}]},{links,[<0.43.0>,<0.42.0>]},{dictionary,[]},{trap_exit,true},{status,running},{heap_size,987},{stack_size,27},{reductions,184}],[]]}
2018-06-25 22:43:14.267451 std_info            #{label=>{application_controller,exit},report=>[{application,kernel},{exited,{{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,user,{undef,[{'Elixir.IEx.CLI',start,[],[]},{user_sup,start_user,3,[{file,"user_sup.erl"},{line,100}]},{user_sup,init,1,[{file,"user_sup.erl"},{line,49}]},{supervisor_bridge,init,1,[{file,"supervisor_bridge.erl"},{line,82}]},{gen_server,init_it,2,[{file,"gen_server.erl"},{line,374}]},{gen_server,init_it,6,[{file,"gen_server.erl"},{line,342}]},{proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3,[{file,"proc_lib.erl"},{line,249}]}]}}},{kernel,start,[normal,[]]}}},{type,permanent}]}
{"Kernel pid terminated",application_controller,"{application_start_failure,kernel,{{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,user,{undef,[{'Elixir.IEx.CLI',start,[],[]},{user_sup,start_user,3,[{file,\"user_sup.erl\"},{line,100}]},{user_sup,init,1,[{file,\"user_sup.erl\"},{line,49}]},{supervisor_bridge,init,1,[{file,\"supervisor_bridge.erl\"},{line,82}]},{gen_server,init_it,2,[{file,\"gen_server.erl\"},{line,374}]},{gen_server,init_it,6,[{file,\"gen_server.erl\"},{line,342}]},{proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3,[{file,\"proc_lib.erl\"},{line,249}]}]}}},{kernel,start,[normal,[]]}}}"}
Kernel pid terminated (application_controller) ({application_start_failure,kernel,{{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,user,{undef,[{'Elixir.IEx.CLI',start,[],[]},{user_sup,start_user,3,[{file,"user_sup.

I understand that a more formal deployment procedure would involve some sort of proxy such as Nginx or HAProxy sitting at the HTTP/HTTPS ports while the Elixir app itself runs on a port above 1024. However I just wanted to test whether the app works as I expected first by trying to put it on port 80. It seems to be difficult to do so without running elixir as root. I’m not sure if this is a good idea at all though. I’m mostly curious why the programs don’t work with sudo.

System: Kernel: 3.10.0-693.21.1.el7.x86_64 x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 4.8.5
           Console: tty 0 Distro: Scientific Linux release 7.5 (Nitrogen)

Erlang/OTP 21 [erts-10.0] [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [ds:4:4:10] [async-threads:1] [hipe]

Elixir 1.6.6 (compiled with OTP 21)

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews