jpbecotte

jpbecotte

I’ve been using Elixir and Phoenix for two projects, yet. I like Phoenix, but having in mind that server-side templates is nowadays less sexy (I am in love with Vue.js), what would be a great match for a new project which have the following requirements:

  • Must use Websockets for communication between front-end and back-end, regardless of the realtime features. No REST API. HTTP(S) is used only to serve static content and for authentication.
  • Backend must handle PubSub (like Channels in Phoenix).
  • Data model with Ecto/PGSQL

I think Phoenix still a great match, but isn’t an overkill?

Thanks,

JP

Showing Posts 1 to 3

yurko

yurko

The nice thing about Phoenix is that that it doesn’t have much overhead :slight_smile: So my two cents - definitely Phoenix, it’s WS support is really awesome.

chrismccord

chrismccord

Creator of Phoenix

Nope, not overkill :slight_smile:

Since you need distributed PubSub you’ll find it a fantastic fit. Also since you want Ecto, you’ll find integration of protocols thru the phoenix_ecto project that makes your life easier.

Lastly, the inclusion of server-side templates does not make it overkill, after all Phoenix.Template amounts to only 400 LOC:
https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix/blob/master/lib/phoenix/template.ex and the majority of folks need to render an index page at any rate :slight_smile:

10
Post #2
brightball

brightball

I was basically coming here to say what @yurko said. People tend to assume that Phoenix is heavy, but it’s really just a thin layer around Plug. You’re not looking at a difference of raw ruby vs rails or something along those lines.

It’s one of the things that makes it such an easy go-to for…everything.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews