Actioncable - like in Rails, but for Elixir

Hi,
I just published an equivalent of actioncable (same as Rails) in elixir, this is a first version but it works. Here it is : GitHub - cedricPoncot/actioncable: Actioncable implementation (server-side) like in Rails, but in Elixir.

Feel free to make some feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am curious why You don’t use Phoenix channels instead.

The use of Redis might be required for Rails, but maybe it’s less useful in Elixir :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi :slight_smile: ,
I’ve tried with Phoenix Channels first.
The problem is : to be compatible with action cable protocol, specially during 101 Switching protocol Phoenix Channel wasn’t offering enough flexibility. That’s why i use something more low level : Cowboy websocket handler.

For Redis, you’re absolutely right, this is not necessary. It was just easier to implement with :wink:
(The purpose of redis in this package is only to store list of pid corresponding to a channel)

1 Like

Is it meant to be integrated with an existing Rails front-end? In order to make your new Elixir application backward compatible with some existing ActionCable JS code?

If it is not the case, I don’t really see the point of your library :man_shrugging:

It’s the point :+1: , if you switch your server from Rails to Elixir, you don’t have to change existing JS code on client.

2 Likes