Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Background

I have a project that has a folder for image it uses. I call this folder images.

Issue

Usually when I do mix assets.deploy from the root of my project everything is compiled and phoenix puts the images it needs inside priv/static/.

However, these images are not being used in templates nor in renders. They are being used by elixir-desktop. So because of this when I use mix assets.deploy these images are not bundled together with everything else.

Question

I have read the introduction to deployment guide: Introduction to Deployment — Phoenix v1.8.8

But it does not address my issue. Is there a configuration I can change to add my images folders? I believe this would have to go into mix.exs or something amongst those lines.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

You’d need to be more concrete what assets.deploy is setup to do in your application. By default on a new phoenix app with esbuild it’ll only handle js/css and no images in the first place.

derpycoder

derpycoder

As @LostKobrakai pointed out, mix assets.deploy just processes js/css from assets folder.

Rest of the images, svgs, icons, robots.txt, canary.txt, ads.txt, favicon, etc, you need to place them directly priv/static folder.

I guess, it just minifies, compresses and generates file hash on js/css files.

However the images are compressed by us, so they are directly placed in priv/static folder and the mix assets.deploy works on those images in place:


Excerpt from Introduction to Deployment:

This step is required only if you have compilable assets like JavaScript and stylesheets. By default, Phoenix uses esbuild but everything is encapsulated in a single mix assets.deploy task defined in your mix.exs.

And that is it! The Mix task by default builds the assets and then generates digests with a cache manifest file so Phoenix can quickly serve assets in production.


P.S. I fumbled in the beginning as well, but I just saw existing projects by other people and figured out that you just leave images and such in priv/static folder.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

But isn’t the priv/static folder automatically generated?
Am I meant to add my images/static files there ?(i.e. is this a good practice?)

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

It used to, but hasn’t been since 1.6 – based on the generated setup of a fresh phoenix install.

derpycoder

derpycoder

Yup, it’s a good practice.

Let me find an official documentation.


As @LostKobrakai mentioned, it’s a new way of doing it after webpack was removed!


Note running mix phx.digestwill create digested files for all of the assets in priv/static , so your images and fonts are still cache-busted.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews