sunaku
Hello,
How can I prevent ExUnit from truncating the left and right values in an assertion failure with “…” ellipses?
Does ExUnit have a configuration option like limit: :infinity for IO.inspect()?
1) test encode() single (EncoderTest)
test/encoder_test.exs:25
Assertion with == failed
code: assert actual == expected
left: <<87, 0, 0, 0, 2, 95, 105, 100, 0, 7, 0, 0, 0, 115, 99, 104, 101,
109, 97, 0, 2, 118, 101, 114, 115, 105, 111, 110, 0, 6, 0, 0, 0,
49, 46, 49, 46, 51, 0, 2, 103, 101, 110, 101, 114, 97, 116, 111,
114, 0, ...>>
right: <<109, 0, 0, 0, 2, 95, 105, 100, 0, 7, 0, 0, 0, 115, 99, 104, 101,
109, 97, 0, 2, 118, 101, 114, 115, 105, 111, 110, 0, 6, 0, 0, 0,
49, 46, 49, 46, 51, 0, 2, 103, 101, 110, 101, 114, 97, 116, 111,
114, 0, ...>>
stacktrace:
test/encoder_test.exs:43: (test)
Currently, I’m having to manually inspect the contents of my binary data strings with IO.inspect(limit: :infinity) so that I can see them printed in their entirety for manual visual comparison: ![]()
actual = binary1 |> IO.inspect(label: "actual", limit: :infinity)
expected = binary2 |> IO.inspect(label: "expected", limit: :infinity)
assert actual == expected
Thanks for your consideration.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
devonestes
At the moment it looks like the default CLI formatter for ExUnit does not have a way to display diffs with an infinite size because it uses
IO.puts/2, and that function doesn’t have all the same options thatIO.inspect/3takes. It’s totally possible to write and use a separate formatter if one wanted to do that. The docs on how to do that are here: ExUnit.Formatter — ExUnit v1.20.2