petecorey
Hey all,
I’m coming (most recently) from a Meteor background. This means that much of my current interest around Elixir and Phoenix come from exploring how I can integrate them with existing Meteor applications.
I recently wrote up an article on basic integration with Meteor’s Accounts system to do Meteor-style authentication in a Phoenix application. It’s definitely very simple and feature-poor at the moment, but I think it’s a good diving off point for anyone looking to do this kind of thing.
Hopefully this helps some former (or current) Meteor developers out there, or any Elixir developers looking to work with MongoDB.
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
OvermindDL1
I’m curious, can you give a quick synopsis of meteor? It is not a thing I’ve looked at yet and the immediate main website is unrevealing (blehg). What does it handle, what is its syntax and structure like, etc…?
petecorey
Meteor is basically a Javascript framework/platform that focuses on building full-stack, soft-realtime Javascript applications. It’s a walled garden with it’s own set of Meteor-specific packages, which is fantastic for unbelievably rapid development, but less so for long-term development.
It’s also intimately tied to MongoDB, with a focus on having the “database everywhere”, so you can run pseudo-MongoDB queries on the client against a limited set of documents published to the client from the server.
OvermindDL1
That sounds, odd, and insecure. o.O
petecorey
No more insecure than any other stack. It just uses a pub/sub model to push data to the client instead of explicitly fetching it. The client-side “Minimongo” is just a glorified client-side cache.
Morganjackson
@petecorey another awesome post!
Have you looked into shared login between a phoenix and Meteor application? i.e user logs into Meteor application which persists when navigating to the Phoenix application?
petecorey
Thanks!
I haven’t looked into sharing auth between a Meteor app and a Phoenix app, but that would be interesting to look into.
Meteor stores its resume tokens in localStorage, which makes things a bit more difficult. The
admithub:shared-authpackage does some clever things with iframes and inter-frame communicate to share auth between two different Meteor applications. Something similar could probably be done between a Meteor and Phoenix app.Mandemus
Iirc SkinnyGeek1001 in the above thread has a few example projects with Meteor and Phoenix integration.