hakarabakara
I am running elixir version 1.10.4 on Centos 7 and having trouble with runtime.exs fetching environment variables configured in the systemd service.
The same setup works on Ubuntu 20.04 but running elixir 1.11.4.
My assumption was runtime.exs was introduced in version 1.10.* and should therefore work? If so, what other option do I have because the values are defined in a systemd service that looks like this:
[Unit]
Description=My Service
After=network.target
StartLimitIntervalSec=0
[Service]
Type=simple
EnvironmentFile=/etc/systemd/system/myservice.conf
ExecStart=/home/applicationuser/myservice/prod/rel/myservice/bin/myservice start
ExecStop=/home/applicationuser/myservice/prod/rel/myservice/bin/myservice stop
Restart=on-failure
User=applicationuser
StartLimitIntervalSec=45
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hakarabakara
I just read the documentation, my fear was that the environment variables would not be detected at compile time, I don’t know why I assumed they won’t be read from releases.exs.
Nicd
Can you clarify this a bit? What is the specific issue you are having? Are the environment variables not being read? At compile or runtime?
runtime.exswas introduced in 1.11,releases.exsexists in 1.10. You mentioned both, which one are you using?Note that
runtime.exswill be evaluated in a development environment also, whereasreleases.exswill only be evaluated when running a release.hakarabakara
Thank you for your response and apologies for responding late.
I was using
runtime.exshaving forgotten it was introduced in 1.11 and not in 1.10 so was pulling my hair as to why the configurations were not being read at application start.Moving the configuration to
releases.exskind of worked, I have specified application port as4000but it runs on16392which I was not going to investigate yet because of a deadline