AstonJ

AstonJ

I wasn’t aware ZSH has plugins until @Samjowen mentioned one in the Share an Elixir or dev-env tip a day thread!

Oh My Zsh comes bundled with plugins, which allow you to take advantage of functionality of many sorts to your shell just by enabling them. They are each documented in the README file in their respective plugins/ folder.

Enable a plugin by adding its name to the plugins array in your .zshrc file (found in the $HOME directory). For example, this enables the rails, git and ruby plugins, in that order:

plugins=(rails git ruby)

If you’re using any, which ones?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

nicholasjhenry

nicholasjhenry

My plugin selection is rather slim. I use zplug instead of Oh My Zsh’s built-in plugin system. Here’s my current setup:

zshplugins via zplug:

- vi-mode (from oh-my-zsh)
- wbase.zsh + git-prompt.zsh (woefe’s git prompt)
- zsh-autosuggestions
- zsh-completions
- zsh-history-substring-search
- zsh-syntax-highlighting

The ones I use most:

  • zsh-autosuggestions - suggests commands as you type based on history
  • zsh-syntax-highlighting - highlights commands in real-time to catch typos
  • zsh-history-substring-search - searches history with partial matches (I have it bound to up/down arrows)
  • git-prompt.zsh - shows git status in the prompt
slouchpie

slouchpie

I use the elixir and git plugins a lot. I love the gwip and gunwip aliases. My zsh theme works with them so I can see when I switch to a branch that has a WIP commit. I find it much better than git stash.

Doerge

Doerge

Using:

ZSH_THEME="agnoster"
[...]
FZF_BASE="/opt/homebrew/Cellar/fzf/0.54.3/"
[...]
plugins=(git fzf zsh-syntax-highlighting zsh-autosuggestions)
[...]
# zsh VIM
source $(brew --prefix)/opt/zsh-vi-mode/share/zsh-vi-mode/zsh-vi-mode.plugin.zs

I used to have a bunch more, but found that too many slows down startup/break stuff.

NobbZ

NobbZ

Zsh autocomple, zsh Syntax Highlight, fzf-tab, and p10k.

I think this really is about it.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Same, plus oh-my-zsh and a few of its plugins. And it already feels like too much.

tristan

tristan

Rebar3 Core Team
zsh-users/zsh-autosuggestions
zsh-users/zsh-completions
Aloxaf/fzf-tab
mrjohannchang/zsh-interactive-cd
goarano/zsh-fzf-packagemanager

ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh path:plugins/per-directory-history

Using antidote (https://antidote.sh/) to manage them.

My favorite is the autosuggestion one (GitHub - zsh-users/zsh-autosuggestions: Fish-like autosuggestions for zsh · GitHub) – fish has similar builtin which I immediately wanted after trying fish once..

NobbZ

NobbZ

I used to use omz as well, though eventually it felt as if most add-ons just were some curated and opinionated aliases I didn’t use anyway, so I removed it, and managed my aliases manually from then on.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Dev Env & Tools Top

srowley
I have really enjoyed dialing in a set of static analysis tools and skills that help me help LLMs write better code. One gap I haven’t se...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews