stefanchrobot

stefanchrobot

I’m trying to set up a RabbitMQ consumer using the amqp library. I want to process multiple messages concurrently and properly handle errors (properly reject message if a processing error occurs). How would I go about doing this?

The “Setup a consumer GenServer” example defines a single GenServer that spawns a new process for each incoming message which paired with prefetch_count > 1 allows for concurrent processing of the messages.

How do I make sure that those processes are cleaned up properly? Is spawn_link enough to shut them down when the parent GenServer is shutting down?
Should those processes live under a supervision tree?
How would I implement a timeout for processing of a message (kill it after 5seconds)?
The example says “You might also want to catch :exit signal in production code.” Why? When would that happen? How do I do that?
Are these consumer processes a use case for Tasks or DynamicSupervisor?
Or should this be set up totally differently, i.e. have a Supervisor with N workers where each one is a consumer on a shared connection?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

tcoopman

tcoopman

What I’ve done is the following. I’ve created a wrapper for a Connection and for a Channel.

The wrapper for the Connection starts a new connection in the init and traps exits Process.flag(:trap_exit,t rue) and it links the pid of the connection Process.link(connection.pid)`

So something like this:

{:ok, conn} = AMQP.Connection.open(...)

Process.flag(:trap_exit, true)
Process.link(conn.pid)

As a last thing, I’ll implement the terminate callback and try to close the Connection/Channel if it still lives.

For Channel I do the same thing. In my code I put my Connection and Channel wrappers in a supervision tree so that they get killed if needed.

I’m not sure that this is the correct way, but it works to have no zombie channels when something goes wrong in my code.
I was thinking about asking this in the amqp repository, why the Connection and Channel are no otp behaviours, because if they were, the wrappers wouldn’t be necessary.

See this topic as well: Processing multiple messages in parallel with AMQP

You basically setup one connection and multiple channels.
For error handling and timeouts. In the handle_info that receives the message I start a task and await it with a sensible timeout. If it’s to slow, or something fails you can do your error handling.

blatyo

blatyo

Conduit Core Team

You might find my library useful for this. It handles all the process and error stuff for you.

https://github.com/conduitframework/conduit

These slides give you idea of the code you would write.

Even if you don’t use it, you can see how those types of things are handled here.

https://github.com/conduitframework/conduit_amqp

EDIT: If you do use it and discover something that’s not well documented. Please file a ticket or a PR for it.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews