hlcfan

hlcfan

I’m playing around with membrane, trying to stream an MP4(h264/aac) file through HLS to my phone, I think the first thing is to demux the file into video and audio streams. The code look like this

  use Membrane.Pipeline

  def handle_init(path_to_file) do
    children = %{
      source_file: %Membrane.File.Source{location: path_to_file},
      demuxer: Membrane.MPEG.TS.Demuxer,
      video_parser: %Membrane.H264.FFmpeg.Parser{framerate: {24, 1}},
      video_decoder: Membrane.H264.FFmpeg.Decoder,
      audio_decoder: Membrane.AAC.FDK.Decoder,
      audio_converter: %FFmpeg.SWResample.Converter{
        output_caps: %Membrane.Caps.Audio.Raw{channels: 2, format: :s16le, sample_rate: 48_000}
      },
      sink: %Membrane.File.Sink{location: "video_output"},
      portaudio: PortAudio.Sink
    }

    links = [
      link(:source_file) |> to(:demuxer),
      link(:demuxer) |> via_out(Pad.ref(:output, 256)) |> to(:video_parser),
      link(:demuxer) |> via_out(Pad.ref(:output, 257)) |> to(:audio_decoder),
      link(:video_parser) |> to(:video_decoder),
      link(:video_decoder) |> to(:sink),
      link(:audio_decoder) |> to(:audio_converter),
      link(:audio_converter) |> to(:portaudio)
    ]

    spec = %ParentSpec{
      children: children,
      links: links
    }

    {{:ok, spec: spec}, %{}}
  end

However, when I run it, there’s no sound, and also video_output is zero bytes.

iex(3)> Pipeline.play(pid)                              
:ok
iex(4)> 
21:01:41.415 [debug] [pipeline@<0.295.0>] Changing playback state from stopped to prepared
 
21:01:41.441 [debug] [pipeline@<0.295.0>] Playback state changed from stopped to prepared
 
21:01:41.441 [debug] [pipeline@<0.295.0>] Changing playback state from prepared to playing

21:01:41.441 [debug] [:video_decoder] Evaluating playback buffer

21:01:41.441 [debug] [:source_file] Evaluating playback buffer

21:01:41.441 [debug] [:video_parser] Evaluating playback buffer

21:01:41.441 [debug] [:audio_converter] Evaluating playback buffer

21:01:41.441 [debug] [:audio_decoder] Evaluating playback buffer
 
21:01:41.441 [debug] [:sink] Evaluating playback buffer

21:01:41.441 [debug] [:demuxer] Evaluating playback buffer
 
21:01:41.488 [debug] [:portaudio] Evaluating playback buffer
 
21:01:41.488 [debug] [pipeline@<0.295.0>] Playback state changed from prepared to playing
 
21:01:41.499 [debug] [:video_parser] Ignoring event %Membrane.Core.Events.EndOfStream{}
 
21:01:41.499 [debug] [:audio_decoder] Ignoring event %Membrane.Core.Events.EndOfStream{}

I need a bit help here, am I doing this correctly?

Showing Posts 1 to 8

mat-hek

mat-hek

Membrane Core Team

Hi @hlcfan, you’re right, the first step would be to demux the MP4, but you’re using Membrane.MPEG.TS.Demuxer, that is able to demux MPEG-TS stream, not MP4. We don’t have MP4 demuxer in Membrane yet, though it’s in the roadmap.

hlcfan

hlcfan OP

Thanks @mat-hek for the quick reply. Looking forward to the MP4 demuxer!

hlcfan

hlcfan OP

After converting the file to TS format, it works, thanks!

hlcfan

hlcfan OP

@mat-hek Do you have an example of how to stream a TS file through HLS? I can’t seem to find one.

mat-hek

mat-hek

Membrane Core Team

I don’t, but once you have H264 and AAC, you should be able to put them into HLS like in this demo

EddTally

EddTally

Hey, I’m doing something similar to you, did you ever complete this project?
If so are you able to share the code with me/us?

EddTally

EddTally

I’ve completed the pipeline with the help of @DominikWolek

First take your MP4 file and demux it to acc Audio and H264 Video.
I use ffmpeg command for this, (there might be a ffmpeg elixir wrapper out there to do it safer than this, I feel like calling System.cmd isn’t a nice thing)
For the file name I just take the basename of the original Mp4.

basename = Path.basename(mp4_path, ".mp4")
System.cmd("ffmpeg", ["-i", mp4_path, "-an", "-vcodec", "libx264", 
"videos/demuxed/#{basename}_video.h264", "-vn",
"-acodec", "aac", "videos/demuxed/#{basename}_audio.aac"])

This should split your mp4 into two files, one .aac and it’s corresponding video file .h264
Then in your handle_init function you can create your SkinBin like so:

    sink_bin = %Membrane.HTTPAdaptiveStream.SinkBin{
      muxer_segment_duration: 2 |> Membrane.Time.seconds(),
      manifest_module: Membrane.HTTPAdaptiveStream.HLS,
      target_window_duration: :infinity,
      target_segment_duration: 2 |> Membrane.Time.seconds(),
      persist?: false,
      storage: %Membrane.HTTPAdaptiveStream.Storages.FileStorage{
      	directory: @output_dir
      }
    }

output_dir is the path you wish to save your HLS files to for streaming them.
Once you have your sink you need to create your source and filters, a lot of this next bit of code can be found here inside the Sink Bin Integration Test on membrane_http_adaptive_stream_plugin’s github.

     children =
      	@audio_video_tracks_sources
      	|> Enum.flat_map(fn {source, encoding, track_name} ->
      	  parser =
      	    case encoding do
      	      :H264 ->
      	        %Membrane.H264.FFmpeg.Parser{
      	          framerate: {25, 1},
      	          alignment: :au,
      	          attach_nalus?: true,
      	          skip_until_parameters?: false
      	        }

      	      :AAC ->
      	        %Membrane.AAC.Parser{
      	          out_encapsulation: :none
      	        }
      	    end

      	  [
      	    {{:source, track_name},%Membrane.File.Source{
      			 location: source,
      		}},
      	    {{:parser, track_name}, parser}
      	  ]
      	end)
      	|> then(&[{:sink_bin, sink_bin} | &1])

     links =
      	@audio_video_tracks_sources
      	|> Enum.map(fn {_source, encoding, track_name} ->
      	  link({:source, track_name})
      	  |> to({:parser, track_name})
      	  |> via_in(Pad.ref(:input, track_name),
      	    options: [encoding: encoding, track_name: track_name]
      	  )
      	  |> to(:sink_bin)
      	end)

     {{:ok, spec: %ParentSpec{children: children, links: links}, playback: :playing}, %{}}

@audio_video_tracks_sources is our sources in this format:

@audio_video_tracks_sources [
  	{"videos/demuxed/#{@basename}_audio.aac",
  	 :AAC, :audio},
  	{"videos/demuxed/#{@basename}_video.h264",
  	 :H264, :video}
  ]

But it can be whatever you want as long as it’s in the tuple {path, codec, type}

Once you’ve got all that you can startup your program with
iex -S mix
then start the init
{:ok, pid} = Module.start_link

And your program will generate the HLS files to the @output_dir that you specified.
You can test to see if they’re correct by serving them from a simple python server like so:
python3 -m http.server 8000
And playing it with ffplay
ffplay http://localhost:8000/FILENAME
with FILENAME being output_dir/index.m3u8

Feel free to ask any questions or if I’ve left something out!

EddTally

EddTally

Updated to include -profile:v baseline

System.cmd("ffmpeg", ["-i", mp4_path, "-an", "-profile:v", "baseline", "-vcodec", "libx264", 
"videos/demuxed/#{basename}_video.h264", "-vn",
"-acodec", "aac", "videos/demuxed/#{basename}_audio.aac"])
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews