hariharasudhan94

hariharasudhan94

lets say i have a sample like

a = 20; b = 10;
if (a > b) do
{:ok, "a"}
end

if (a < b) do
{:ok, b}
end

if (a == b) do
{:ok, "equal"}
end

when i run this code first condition satisfied ,instead of returning {:ok, "a"} tuple it starts executing next block of code, how can i stop the execution once first condition is met, and return result

Showing Posts 1 to 6

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

You can’t return early in elixir, but there’s another constuct for such operations:

cond do
  a > b -> {:ok, "a"}
  a < b -> {:ok, "b"}
  a == b -> {:ok, "equal"}
end
OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

To be more specific, there are no statements, everything returns something, including those lines, they just return it ‘up’ (so the if returns it, but the if is not being assigned to anything so it vanishes). :slight_smile:

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

You could use a cond, as shown above, or even different named function heads with pattern matching

def compare(a, a), do: {:ok, “equal”}
def compare(a, b) when a > b, do: {:ok, “a”}
def compare(a, b) when a < b, do: {:ok, “b”}

peerreynders

peerreynders

Just to add to the spectrum (i.e. I’m not recommending this) I see Greg’s suggestion as a “cleaned up” version of

a = 20 
b = 10

result = 
  case {a,b} do
    {c,c} -> "equal"
    {c,d} when c > d -> "a"
    {c,d} when c < d -> "b"
  end
reply = {:ok, result}

IO.inspect(reply)

which could also be written as

a = 20 
b = 10

result = 
  case {a,b} do
    _ when a > b -> "a"
    _ when a < b -> "b"
    _ -> "equal"
  end
reply = {:ok, result}

IO.inspect(reply)

leading to the accepted solution

a = 20 
b = 10

result = 
  cond do
    a > b -> "a"
    a < b -> "b"
    true -> "equal"
  end
reply = {:ok, result}

IO.inspect(reply)

And if do always has a “second” value it evaluates to when the condition is false - it will return nil

a = 10 
b = 20

value1 = 
  if a > b do
    "a"  
  end
  
value2 = 
  cond do
    a > b -> "a"
    true -> nil
  end

IO.inspect({value1,value2})

> {nil, nil}
NobbZ

NobbZ

This is not equivalent to the OPs code, since a == b is true for a = 1; b = 1.0, but your code would run into a function clause error.

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

You’ve got quite the eye for detail! And that brings up a great point: which one is more correct is going to depend on the actual requirements of the problem. Knowing multiple approaches to a problem can help choose the one that best matches the requirements.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews