koushikuk

koushikuk

Using elixir, I am trying to get client ip address in logger, but not able to get that. Any kind of help will be appreciated.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Hello and welcome to the forum, It is not mentionned if You use Phoenix, but if yes, then You can get remote_ip from conn.

See Plug.Conn — Plug v1.20.2

koushikuk

koushikuk OP

Thanks for your help. I’m using Phoenix. I’ll try your suggestion.

rhcarvalho

rhcarvalho

I added remote IP address to logs of a Phoenix app. Sharing a code snippet here for my future self and the rest of the community:

# lib/my_app_web/endpoint.ex
defmodule MyAppWeb.Endpoint do
  use Phoenix.Endpoint, otp_app: :my_app

  # ...
  plug Plug.RequestId
  plug :logger_metadata_remote_ip
  # ...

  defp logger_metadata_remote_ip(conn, _) do
    Logger.metadata(remote_ip: List.to_string(:inet.ntoa(conn.remote_ip)))
    conn
  end
end

# config/config.exs
config :logger, :default_formatter,
  format: "$time $metadata[$level] $message\n",
  metadata: [:request_id, :remote_ip]

Note that IP addresses are generally treated as personal data under GDPR (and similar regimes), so treat them with appropriate care and consider anonymization.

martosaur

martosaur

You likely want to also use remote_ip | Hex as most apps are deployed behind reverse proxy of some kind

rhcarvalho

rhcarvalho

Good call. That will vary case by case, though.

There’s also Plug.RewriteOn and the :force_ssl Endpoint config in Phoenix (that uses Plug.SSL under the hood and also rewrites conn fields), so one may also get around without yet another dependency.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

HR_Sportograf
Backend Developer for Elixir (F/M/D) - Shape the Future of Sports Photography with Us!(German Version below) About us We are athletes –...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews